Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walls on cooled magma/obsidian change floor type  (Read 1764 times)

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Walls on cooled magma/obsidian change floor type
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:23:43 pm »

I decided to create a tower in a lake for my fortress.  To make the beginnings of the tower I routed magma from an exposed magma tube up over the water to create an obsidian platform.  To help shape the obsidian island a placed wooden walls (which somehow escape burning under the heat).  Upon removing these walls I uncovered not obsidian again but loam!  That's rather odd I thought. 

On another related note.  I tried to use this to my advantage to create a green house on the second story of the tower.  I created a patch of "loam" floor and built a farm there.  Even though I have been living above for the four years it took to get the tower together farming about ground, I couldn't plant anything in this new farm I created even with several seeds available...  There's even grass growing on the loam.  I have noticed on ocean maps that you can plant in the beach sand (too salty I assume?) but this is a fresh water lake so that shouldn't be an issue.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Walls on cooled magma/obsidian change floor type
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 12:35:38 pm »

To help shape the obsidian island a placed wooden walls (which somehow escape burning under the heat).

Constructions are immune to heat unless magma occupies the tile directly.

Wistil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 01:55:40 pm »

The issue isn't that wooden walls are immune to fire but that the obsidian created from the magma losses its obsidian type and changes to loam when constructed on.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:28:29 pm »

Okay, I'll note down the loam part.  I'm not sure why it would happen.

It'll still think that soil is part of the "lake biome", because that's the corresponding world map tile, which is probably why you couldn't plant seeds there.  That sort of terraforming just isn't supported yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!