Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ballistas and distance.  (Read 485 times)

Ugoff007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ballistas and distance.
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:11:50 am »

As you can see, I have designed an ingenious 7 bridge system designed to funnel enemies through two one square bridges at a time of my choosing.  The only problem is - how far away should the ballistas be?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Ballistas and distance.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 10:16:04 am »

It's alright. Ballistae have got really long range.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:21:40 am »

They should be farther away than that.  That close, you'll only have one shot at most before the siege operators panic and run away from the incoming enemies.

Ugoff007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 10:39:26 am »

How about this far back?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:30 am »

That's more like it.  It would have been best to have the fortifications and entrance tunnel farther back too though.

Ugoff007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:57 am »

I'll just enlarge the bridges and tear down/rebuild it all.  ;D thanks~

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

build an everyday path that connects directly to the death room, but uses a short bridge/trench to block movement across.
be sure dwarves can't accidentally be shot through this path, and it is sufficiently wide.

then, move the ballistas far back so they have a huge amount of time to shoot goblins

ballista range is huge, you could probably squeeze twice that distance out of the ballista, and still hit marks far across the map.

also, a trench next to the fortifications is advisable, or goblins can shoot through very easy at point blank.

that being said, ballista aren't very effective at long or short range, vs such a wide hallway.
you'd be better off with a smaller hallway, and firing ballistas over each other.(don't know if they can hit dwarves, but that can be dealt with.)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:59:08 am »

Also, from what I can see from mineral distribution, that is a 3D version. Supports are not necessary unless you want to collapse something on a whim.

Unless you are thinking of collapsing whatever it us supporting.

Awesome.

but anyway, I don't think ballistas are effected by fortifications. In theory, you could fill the whole space between the ballista and the targets with fortifications.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO