Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hidden talent  (Read 2050 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Hidden talent
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 10:13:08 pm »

Jumping to talented is not enough.
Why not the most useful jobs to one below talented, the least useful to one above talented, and the rest still go to talented, while if that dwarf came as that profession, it would go to one or two above what they would otherwise get.

This would be good for the player because they would want the more useful jobs but then the dwarf would not be quite as good, making every hidden talent closer in desireability to the rest.
Eh?
Eh!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 10:18:54 pm »

Remember that Dwarf Fortress is still somewhat of a Simulation

As useless as "Cheese Making" is to a fortress we shouldn't change the Talent system just because we find blacksmithing much more useful.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 01:59:34 am »

Well, farmer skills seem like menial labor, to me. I mean, you can't really have a talent for stirring cream until it thickens. In that regard, only trade skills and such should be affected by this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 02:01:29 am »

"you can't really have a talent for stirring cream until it thickens"

If you can have skill in it... you can have a talent for it

It may be a mindless job... but by the gods that dwarf can mindlessly stir that milk like a Master!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 02:13:36 am by Neonivek »

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 09:00:42 pm »

Discovering a talent would be an event worthy of engraving.

I really like this part, too.  I imagine an engraving like this:

"Engraved on the floor is a masterful image of Lokum Datanabir.  Lokum Datanabir is cutting the cheese.  The image relates to the discovery of Lokum Datanabir's hidden talent for cheese making in the early spring of 1054."

Probably followed shortly by:

"Engraved on the wall is a masterful image of Lokum Datanabir.  Lokum Datanabir is burning."

I assume it would only apply to trade skills?  It would be rather amusing to have a dwarf discover a hidden talent in a social skill like Liar or Flatterer.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 09:28:27 pm »

This sounds great!

Urist: We're doomed! we have no military, and the enemy has far too many soldiers!
Bomrek: we're all just recruits!
Cilob: I don't care! CHAAARRRGE!

Urist Mcdwarf has discovered a hidden talent for wrestling!

Urist: Did you guys notice the goblins have very easy to dislodge arms?

Urist: Yeah, gobbo, look here lad. THIS - *crack*
Goblin: AAAAUGH!
Urist: -Is your third ulnar nerve, I break the bone right here and - *another crack* Oops!
Goblin: AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
The goblin gives into pain.
Urist:Wow, I had no idea I was so good at this. *kicks a goblin in the head, knocking him into another goblin* Hey, careful with those punches, it's way too easy to dislocate goblin kneecaps!
Goblins: *multiple cracks* AAAAAAAGH!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 10:42:45 pm »

Discovering Hidden Talents being turned into Engravings... will probably end up as annoying as "Dwarves surrounded by Dwarves"

If only because you have a good chance at the moment to discover someone's hidden talent without even trying.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 11:11:08 pm »

I like the hereditary idea. Parents giving their children higher chances to get a talent that they have would be awesome. Make that effect cumulative and you have a dwarven eugenics program!

Then children would actually have a good use as well.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 12:51:30 am »

I assume it would only apply to trade skills?  It would be rather amusing to have a dwarf discover a hidden talent in a social skill like Liar or Flatterer.

I don't see why not.  I know some very charismatic people and some not so very charismatic people.  One friend I know is excellent at telling stories (particularly humorous ones) as well as an apt ability to play lying thieving characters.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2008, 02:22:03 am »

And there is no point in excluding some skills and including some others ..
like someone said before, if its a skill you can be talented in it ..
and since some professions like cheesemaker and soaper are just useless because the wield of
their profession is not properly included in the game right now. so later on the may become more than just soldiers ( at least the first ones to immigrate :)

Another point to consider is not to look at single skills but the profession ones .. urist McLuckydwarf discovers he can do anything with metal. .. urist now skills faster in any metalsmithing skill and gains a boost in metalcrafting or something.

fey moods should activate the talent too, but don't boost the dwarf to legendary, even if the talent is allready discovered ..
Pages: 1 [2]