Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three quick questions.  (Read 547 times)

Weq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Three quick questions.
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:19:31 am »

Q1. Will water wheels work in the ocean tide? I know about the perpetual motion cycle, but to me that seems like cheating. Don't have time to try here at work, but will save me time later on.

Q2. I have a 2-z lvl aquifier and I am trying to dig beneath it. At the moment I have an obsidian farm (pour magma into hole/pour on water/mine rocks - rinse, repeat). I tried to channel into aquifier and pour in magma. So far so good. However, when I tried to mine obsidian in aquifier layer - leaving stone borders around - water somehow still leaked in. Am I doing something wrong?

Q3. Is it possible to have a single farm planted with seeds all seasons, or do I have to set up farm each season manually?

Tips:
Not having magma proof floodgate/mechanisms, I came up with a simple solution until proper materials are found. I have a channel from magma to 'magma farm' which needs to be shut off. I built a small room above the magma vent filled with water (pond designation) and floodgate. When I need to close off the magma vent, I just pull lever, water passes over magma filled channel and turns it to obsidian, blocking off access. When I need to repeat, just channel away again.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Three quick questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 04:54:34 am »

1. No idea
2. If it is still leaking water, then yes! :cute:
3. Yes. Plump helmets for instance grow all year round. Once the farm is built, set plump helmets to be planted all 4 seasons. The following year your farmers will continue to use what your planting plan for the previous year. If you want variety (like plaing sweet pods in summer and plump helmets the rest of the year) you can do that too and not need to change the farms settings again.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:01:35 am »

From what the wiki says in order to prevent water leaking into the dug out obsidian chamber you have to dig out the middle leaving a barrier of stone to block the water.

IE o=obsidian d=dig a=aquifer dirt

aaaaaaa remeber water can leak diagonly
aoooooa
aodddoa
aodddoa
aodddoa
aoooooa
aaaaaaa

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 12:24:58 am »

From what the wiki says in order to prevent water leaking into the dug out obsidian chamber you have to dig out the middle leaving a barrier of stone to block the water.

IE o=obsidian d=dig a=aquifer dirt

aaaaaaa remeber water can leak diagonly
aoooooa
aodddoa
aodddoa
aodddoa
aoooooa
aaaaaaa

He says he did that, apparently.
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.