Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forbidden status ignored in plants  (Read 1113 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Forbidden status ignored in plants
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:53:15 pm »

I asked about this over in Gameplay Questions, and apparently it can be called a bug.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19494.0

To reitterate for clarity-
I'm using the stocks screen to forbid certain plant stack-items, like cave wheat and sweet pods, then I tell a dwarf to Mill, Brew, or Process.  The dwarf grabs a job-appropriate stack-item from whichever barrel is closest, completely ignoring forbidden status on the item.  I imagine it has to do with milling/brewing/processing looking for items in a barrel which somehow skips over the forbidden part, but of course I don't know.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Forbidden status ignored in plants
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:56:35 pm »

What version are you using?

I see a check in the code for the forbidden status on both the barrel and the objects inside the barrel, so I'm not sure what's going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 05:15:03 am »

38c

Not sure what to tell you, except that I'm forbidding some stacks of cave wheat, ordering milling, and the miller grabs forbidden stacks.  Same with brewing - his inventory shows {Cave wheat}, Hauled, the still then shows {Cave wheat} TSK.  Should be easy enough to reproduce.

To further experiment, I made sure cave wheat was the only plant allowed for brewing, then forbid every stack I had and ordered him to brew.  Even with cave wheat now not listed in the kitchen menu, he grabbed another forbidden stack and set to work.  I then forbid every millable plant and ordered milling, and he grabs forbidden stacks.  Process to barrel and to bag do the same.

However, I then made sure that only plump helmets were allowed to be cooked, forbid all stacks of it, and the cooking task could not happen.  For what thats worth, cooking apparently respects forbidden plants just fine, along with syrup, meat, or any other ingredient.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 05:22:57 am by Aqizzar »
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:28 pm »

It doesn't reproduce for me.  I forbid all of the stacks and the brew job cancelled, then I reclaimed half of them, and they just used those before cancelling.

I can take a look at your save to see if there's something else going on.  It would be best if it's set up so that a bad job is ready to go, but no dwarf has accepted the job.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:48:32 pm »

All right, commitments made that take a lot longer than it should have.  Then my dwarves decided to be shiftless buggers, the liason showed up, more plants needed to be grown, migrants arrived, and the farmer fell asleep.  Anyway...  Everything is locked down so nothing should get in your way.

All plant types are present in the fortress storage - all brewable plants were set to be brew-allowed in the kitchen, then all plant stacks were marked as forbidden.  The fortress has a Still, a Quern, and three Farmer's Workshops, which were then set to Brew, Mill, Process, Process to Bag, and Process to Barrel.  A smith, carpenter, fisher, and peasent were then ordered to brew, mill, and process.

If all goes as it does on my computer, as soon as the game is unpaused, they should rush off to grab forbidden plant stacks and set to work.  If they cancel the jobs, then something must be wrong with my installation, or some other problem.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=241

aelystur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:53:37 pm »

I noticed something similar using the craftsdwarf station. I was decorating coffins for future use, once getting them to a certain value I would forbid them in the workshop. for some reason the dwarf goes back tot he forbidden item to continue decorating. its only after dumping the item does he leave it alone with its forbidden status

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:35:30 pm »

The dwarves cancelled the jobs immediately when I loaded up the same.  Perhaps it's one of the things I've added over the past five months, though I don't remember that.  In any case, it'll probably work out for next time.