Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: quest rewards and other questing suggestions.  (Read 1321 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
quest rewards and other questing suggestions.
« on: July 05, 2008, 12:26:29 pm »

I know rewards are already planned for, but I would like to add some suggestions for them and questing in general.

- Make reward items be trinkets, weapons, armor or artifacts that are already in possession of the mayor or the quest giver. In order to make this work, world-gen and wars should make it possible for townspeople to accumulate stuff over time or inherit them from their parents. For example, if town A successfully invades town B, people from A should acquire stuff that belonged to people in B. This will give A's people something to give up in quest as reward for their completion. Maybe quests could be assigned a value depending on the kill count of the target, and this value determines the value of the trinket or trinkets that should be given in reward.

- Make anyone with a motive and a reward be a quest giver. Not just mayors. If a peasant got his parents, spouse, or sons killed, and he/she has something that could be given as a reward, then he/she can be a quest giver. To make it easier for adventurers, Quest givers could randomly go at times to the square center or pub in order to wait for adventurers.

- Add conversation options to townspeople that give names and directions of questgivers. Maybe formatted as rumors, "I heard Urist McDwarf is giving a reward to anyone that kill Smelly Behind, the ogre. Urist is at the temple right now".

- Add thieving/recovery quests. For example, some mayor or king/queen might have lost a item to an invasion and wants the stuff back. He/she might give you a direct quest to recover the item instead of just killing somebody. Or the questgiver might be an greedy person and wants you to steal some valuable stuff from another town.
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: quest rewards and other questing suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »

"Make anyone with a motive and a reward be a quest giver. Not just mayors"

I agree, the advantage of asking the Mayor should be that he should give quests that concern the town rather then just himself making it easier to ask the mayor then to hunt down villagers. I don't agree with the "And a reward" afterall don't expect anything from dirt farmers.

"Add conversation options to townspeople that give names and directions of questgivers"

Already in the game... if you ask "Service" they point you in the dirrection of someone who they believe needs your help.

"Add thieving/recovery quests"

Requires the Carivan Arc... AKA the Arc in which everything becomes possible. Actually the number of times Ive heard "Requires the Carivan Arc" or "Ill put it off until the Carivan Arc" is kinda funny.

"Make reward items be trinkets, weapons, armor or artifacts that are already in possession of the mayor or the quest giver"

I want to add to this... The Town could add a part of the total wealth of every person the monster killed... and Adventurer gear (if the body was found). So you kill the Dragon that has been harassing the town for 500 years... you may find yourself with 500 years worth of loot and gear.

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:36:44 pm »

Already in the game... if you ask "Service" they point you in the dirrection of someone who they believe needs your help.

Yeah, you are right. I forgot about that. Although I was thinking more of a rumor system. Something that could integrate both the environment and service conversation options. So that you aren't necessarily given a quest but maybe a story about the tragedy the befell the town 10 years back, who was the perpetrator, and who where the victims. Then you could go and find them for the quests. But maybe this isn't necessary.

Edit: Disregard that rumor thing. The other conversation options cover all of this.

Regarding the Caravan Arc. I don't understand how everything is tied to it. I know it mainly deals with the world economy. But it's not like he has to do everything at the same time or it won't work. Actually doing everything in one fell sweep might be impossible.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:43:26 pm by Zemat »
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:41 pm »

"Regarding the Caravan Arc. I don't understand how everything is tied to it"

The Carivan has one important factor along with a few other major ones...

Being... that it allows the game to keep track of wealth and objects to a greater degree then it currently can.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 03:06:19 am »

You hast slain the mighty dragon which has plagued us for hundreds of years, slaying thousands and creating it's own mighty cult which is even now plotting revenge against you! Have this !!xXLarge kitten leather thongXx!! we got from raiding out neighboring village 3 years ago as your reward!

Maybe them just spawning some coins to give you would be better for now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:18:08 am »

Or let you take one item, any item, from the shops without paying for it.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:27:29 pm »

As far as I understand it...

The caravan arc will make the game keep track of items across the game world, which it doesn't really do that well right now.  It will make moving items from one location to another possible without adventurers. Until then, stuff will stay where it is until a PLAYER moves it.  And furthermore, stuff won't really exist in the first place until a player witnesses it.