Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven merchants permanently overweight  (Read 878 times)

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven merchants permanently overweight
« on: July 02, 2008, 06:47:48 am »

I ran into an interesting problem tonight.  The dwarven merchants arrived for the first time, but I was unable to trade with them.  No matter what trade I proposed, no matter if they were 3000+ weight short of their max and at a 50% profit or if they were trading at a loss, I would always get the message "I wish I could take more, but my poor animals..."  The only time I would ever get another message was when I tried trading nothing, in which case they would ask me if I wanted to make an offer.

Ultimately, the traders left without my being able to purchase anything.  I'll update this post next game-year with whether or not they take stuff then.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven merchants permanently overweight
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 10:21:48 am »

Everything worked fine the next year.  Not sure what happened the first time.
The miasma caused Sethrist to go miserable and throw a tantrum. During the tantrum he mauled a dog to near-death and that caused his mood to go all the way up to content. Apparently, beating the crap out of dogs is the best way to achieve happiness.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:31:15 am »

If I recall correctly, that specific message is given when you are offering items to the traders, gratis. That's different from doing a trade.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 06:30:55 pm »

Oh, I was definitely taking stuff from them.  Heck, I even tried trade them them one mechanism ($180, 267 weight) in exchange for three chunks of stone ($5 and between 500 and 600 weight each) and a cage ($40, 1134 weight).  The trader gained $115 and lost about 2500 weight.  He said he was overburdened.

Feodoric

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 07:41:49 pm »

If you designate stuff to be traded in both windows, but then hit 'o'ffer instead of 't'rade, I'm pretty sure it just ignores the left hand side of the screen.

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

Feodoric, Derakon, you're not listening. His issue is that the caravan says it's overweight when he tries to trade even though he's taking more weight from him than he's giving.

Edit: Okay, so I was wrong. Sorry Feodoric and Derakon.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:43:24 pm by ein Syndication »

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 11:28:09 pm »

Too late now, and doesn't fix the bug really, but next time you have that problem destroy the trade depot, take their shit. You're happy, they're no longer overburdened.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 10:48:56 am »

Feodoric, Derakon, you're not listening. His issue is that the caravan says it's overweight when he tries to trade even though he's taking more weight from him than he's giving.
A common problem for people new to trading is that they hit 'o'ffer instead of 't'rade, with results as described here.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dark_T_Zeratul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 08:19:44 pm »

That's actually what I did, yeah.  Didn't even notice until after I'd sent two elven caravans and a dwarven one away with lots of stuff without receiving anything in return (though I didn't notice the lack of returns until after I didn't get the anvil I thought I'd traded for).

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 12:56:39 am »

On the positive side, the elves and dwarves will be extremely happy with you.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:42:09 am »

This is a positive because imagine their surprise when they fall into magma.
Priceless!