Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: stop asking the impossible!  (Read 2948 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: stop asking the impossible!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 01:28:30 am »

I thought mandates were there to provide noble greed, whereupon they ask for items made from their favorite material.  Things that are not listed in their noble requirements page, but that the noble "requires" nonetheless.

This makes sense for having some nobledwarf requesting a silverware set and some gold trinkets for  himself.  But after the twenty-seventh bronze toy forge, things get a bit silly.

I think that nobles believe the fortress works for them, and so they can ask for whatever they please.  They're no presenting a request to the suggestions desk, they're telling their employees to do something.  If they don't, they need to be punished for insubordination.

I believe that nobles should request certain items, like gold goblets or favored trinkets, until they reach their limit.  After that, they only make requests for consumable items such as special meals or drinks.  This is realistic, fun, and prevents excessive clutter (I want another coffer in my bedroom!  I don't care if there's no more space, just put it in!).

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 02:12:30 am »

you see this the wrong way about the coffers in the nobles room ..
this is a slight hint that the room of the noble may be to small for him :)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 06:46:13 am »

Is it weird that I thought this was about the suggestions forum from the title?
No, that was my first thought too.
Mine too, and I would have agreed with it.
Third.

Very much in agreement.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:08:21 am »

Maybe the nobles that appear and their requests should be more closely related to the resources actually available near the fort.

For example, if a fort is mining Clear Garnet, then a baron who likes that gem may put in a request to be transferred to that fort so they can indulge their taste and request items made or encrusted with it.

Similarly, nobles may have heard (from prospectors etc) that there is gold beneath the fort, even if the player has not discovered it yet, so if the baron turns up and starts demanding gold items then it would be a good indication that there is gold to be found somewhere, so you'd better get digging quick. (using Reveal is cheating!)
Pages: 1 [2]