Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dam Brook...  (Read 1086 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Dam Brook...
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:13:01 pm »

Is it possible to damn a brook? I want to dig out a brook to make a stream (in my eye), but I want to dam it too.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Dam Brook...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 07:34:52 pm »

If you're in a temperate or colder biome, than it's easy; wait for the brook to freeze over, dig out the ice, build walls in the brook, wait for spring.

It's harder if you're in a warmer climate. You have to pump out a section of water until it's totally dry (I'll leave the problem of what to do with the water you're pumping out to you; the best way to get rid of it is to dump it in an aquifer, but in absence of one, you can make an aqueduct to the edge of the map. Just don't pump it back into the brook), then go down and put the walls in.

Either way, be sure to make the exit stairs on both sides of the dam so your masons don't wall themselves in.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:57:10 pm »

Damn a brook?  Definitely a pentagon, there.

Another way to do this is to mine out -around- the brook tiles, like this:

Code: [Select]
+.+.+
.+.+.

anyways, as you do this, you'll begin to collapse the brook tiles into the brook, causing the river to drain through those tiles into the void.  It's literally brought a brook of mine to 1/7 water and to 0/7 water in parts.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:40 am »

Damn a brook?  Definitely a pentagon, there.

Another way to do this is to mine out -around- the brook tiles, like this:

Code: [Select]
+.+.+
.+.+.

anyways, as you do this, you'll begin to collapse the brook tiles into the brook, causing the river to drain through those tiles into the void.  It's literally brought a brook of mine to 1/7 water and to 0/7 water in parts.
What happens when a dwarf falls in?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:46 am »

Dwarves can walk across these tiles just fine.  I blame innate Dwarven Sorcery, myself.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered