Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: playable gobs w/o playable tags...WTF?  (Read 2122 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
playable gobs w/o playable tags...WTF?
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:43:53 am »

So, I was working on making a playable race of centaurs, and it was going pretty well. At the moment they're blind and suffocate on embarking, but I can fix that. All that I've done to the raws is add this new race and some armor for them. Anyway, as I was embarking for a test drive in adventure mode, I see down below elves: "Goblin of Soandso" Insert giant WTF from me. So I click on him, just to see what happens, and, sure enough, there's my little goblin swordsman surrounded by goblin peasants. Which he proceeded to mow down, being a goblin and all. I checked and double checked my entity files, and there was nothing in there that should have caused this. Is this just something that happens from time to time, or what? Frankly, it's kind of freaking me out.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: playable gobs w/o playable tags...WTF?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 05:42:42 am »

If you made an error adding the centaurs, playable goblins is a fairly small consequence. Usually it's more like playable groundhogs and fort mode batmen. You should still post your goblin entity raw, just in case.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:27:09 am »

Yeah, most likely you have a duplicate, make sure you don't have a centaur creature in addition to the one you added.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 09:28:07 am »

Aaah, perhaps that's it. I forgot to delete the centaur from the fanciful folder when I made mine. I imagine since I'm deleting a whole creature I'll need to generate a new world to see if it worked?

Random playable creatures (in place of instant game crashing) is a pretty cool side effect, though.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »

That's nothing, I once had playable skeletal elves.  When I finished creating my character, vents of deadly steam/lava/horrible flaming death spontaneously opened beneath every skeletal elf in the village at the same time.  That adventure didn't last long.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 06:58:22 pm »

That's nothing, I once had playable skeletal elves.  When I finished creating my character, vents of deadly steam/lava/horrible flaming death spontaneously opened beneath every skeletal elf in the village at the same time.  That adventure didn't last long.

Wa... Bu... Guh...

Can I download that?

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 04:46:39 pm »

Lies. The bug only swaps creatures around. Skeletal creature are impossible to be playable.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 01:44:35 am »

Well that must be why they all died, and it's not lies.  If I wanted to troll these boards I wouldn't have bothered doing anything else with this account.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:46:50 am »

He was probably fiddling with an older version of my Martial Arts mod. Before 1.66 there were skeletal elves, humans, and dwarves, though they were unfinished and didn't spawn anywhere.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 01:56:52 am »

Oh yeah, I was going to ask you about those...  I'm assuming you didn't actually intend to have skeletal dwarves yelling battlecries, and skeletal elves mumbling incantations?

Unless there's a part of "skeletal" that I missed.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 02:09:53 am »

Heh. First I edited those out, then I removed the creatures themselves. I'll rather wait for Toady to put in "official" undead than invent my own.