Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skill level for mining designations.  (Read 901 times)

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Skill level for mining designations.
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:21:17 pm »

It would be really nice if there was an easy way to make sure that high level miners are the ones that show up to go for gems and other valuables in the ground.  I hate it when gold/platinum/gems are wasted because some immigrant miner decided to dig the designation.

Might be under the orders menu, as an option to only have certain levels mine certain things, or work sort of like the workshop profiles.  Not sure about the second, sine that would mean designations would operate sort of like buildings.
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Skill level for mining designations.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 06:30:28 pm »

Frequently requested, because it's a good idea. :)

Also, in the future, it's a good idea to look through the dev notes (a search on the consolidated screen will find stuff pretty easily) to see if Toady already plans something. If not, do a quick search in the forum to see if anyone else has suggested the idea.

You're still welcome to post a topic on something that's been discussed before, if you think that your ideas are sufficiently different that they add something. Or, if it's a fairly recent post, you can just add a reply to that one. Just try to avoid doing that with old posts, since going back between versions can cause some confusion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 06:45:03 pm »

Ah, sorry.  I was in a hurry to get this down before leaving for an appointment, so I skipped the searching step.
(|||)

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:38:27 pm »

As an interim solution, I re-title all my miners who've made it to Legendary skill as "Legendary Miners."

Then, using Dwarf Foreman (check the wiki), I can turn off the mining skill on everyone but them.
Patryn of Elvenshae

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »

Yeah, since miners hang around the top of the unit screen, I just turn off the skill in everybody who's not flashing.
It's not entirely satisfactory, but it works, mostly.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:06:53 pm »

Don't forget designating a vein and having miners auto-mine it, rather than you baby-sitting them the whole way.

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 02:08:57 pm »

Don't forget designating a vein and having miners auto-mine it, rather than you baby-sitting them the whole way.

Oh god yes.

Also the ability to ignore warm/damp.
(|||)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 02:21:19 pm »

I know toady has said that he has plans for that one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One