Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water Flood Trap  (Read 1708 times)

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water Flood Trap
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:20:30 pm »

So I am trying  to make a rather goblin proof entrance to my underground section of my fortress. I made a long, winding corridor chock full of fun traps. After that, is  hallway to the main fortress. I want to make a pressure plate, which when triggered, two floodgates slam down, and water fills the corridor, drowning the poor creatures trapped inside. A brook is very close by, so filling the corridor won't take too long.

So my problems are:
How do I keep the floodgate closed?
How can I link multiple floodgates?
How could I drain the corridor?

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Water Flood Trap
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:34:03 pm »

1) Floodgates are closed when they are placed.

2)Make a lever(NOT IN THE FLOOD ZONE) and connect it to each grate, as you would with anything when connecting it to a lever.

3) Build a hatch in the center of the flood zone that leads back into the water tank. Connect the hatch to a lever. Do note: This is a hard step to pull off right.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:35:45 pm »

Draining the thing should be easy. If you have floodgates on the other side of the corridor, they could block off a channel (or to my preference, grates, over the channel). The grates could goto a holding tank below the drown-hall. Then pumps could take the water back up to the main holding tank.

A much simpler solution would be to have a retracting bridge act as the floor, doors seal off the area where they are standing on the floor, and a lever to send them to a watery death. The floor under the bridge is of course, a 7/7 water filled channel. mwahahhah!!!
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:08 pm »

If I were to do the bridge retracting trap, where would I put the pressure plate?

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:57:58 am »

At the fortress end of the bridge. You'd have one goblin still standing but the rest would have fallen in.
As for drainage, I just dug out a really big room connected to the corridor by a floodgate that's closed most of the time. Close the river-floodgate, open the room-floodgate, and the water floods in, disperses and evaporates.
Not the best, but quite easy to build.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 11:55:35 am »

You can set spears to come out and kill the lone gobbo who sends his fellows done to their death.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 12:26:04 pm »

I don't think you can build spears on the pressure plate's tile.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:29:40 pm »

Maybe build them one step ahead of the bridge's pressure plate? I have never built pressure plates before. I prefer levers. More personal.

arekusu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:46:48 pm »

Alright. I built two bridges across a channel. I linked them up to a pressure plate, with the plate being fortside. There are no doors, as I decided that it would make it needlessly complicated. When the pressure plate is activated, the bridges retract, dumping the gobbos into the channel. Right now, the channel has nothing in it, but I am thinking of making an arena at the end of it, on the lower level. The gobbos will be shepherded through with an airlock-like system, at the end of which will be several of my soldiers, waiting to get easy XP.

There is also a cage trap right next to the pressure plate,which will catch the last gobbo, who I will do something extra fun with!