Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A suggestion to suggestions.  (Read 830 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A suggestion to suggestions.
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:14:32 pm »

I know that this is sort of a wierd topic, but I think that the suggestion system needs a tweak. It involves the small game changes that everyone (more or less) thinks would be a good change.
ex. mass building of walls (Can't wait for next version)

If one thinks that the issue is important, there should be some system (maybe a stickied poll?) for us to use. It usually doesn't make sense to post a whole new thread for it, becuase they have already been discussed.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion to suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:41:50 pm »

I second that

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »

One large sticky listing all suggestions, and a "Yes/No" poll for each? Or one sticky for each idea?

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 02:37:48 pm »

One large sticky listing all suggestions, and a "Yes/No" poll for each? Or one sticky for each idea?

I'm pretty sure Strife26 meant a single sticky. Stickying every one is just silly.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:50:46 pm »

Both are poor ideas.  Posting every single idea in one thread doesn't give you enough insight to the idea, and may not really say anything about the idea itself.  Posting links to every singe idea in one thread is no different than browsing a list of threads.

Furthermore, STICKIES DESTROY USEFUL TOPICS.  A sticky is usually ignored shortly after it is created.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:31:24 pm »

Both are poor ideas.  Posting every single idea in one thread doesn't give you enough insight to the idea, and may not really say anything about the idea itself.  Posting links to every singe idea in one thread is no different than browsing a list of threads.

Furthermore, STICKIES DESTROY USEFUL TOPICS.  A sticky is usually ignored shortly after it is created.

I agree with you for the most part.

However, it might be nice to have a short list of ideas people are sick of reading about.  (Mass dump, Mass build, etc) with links to those topics.  Sure newbs would still post the same suggestions all the time, but I'd feel better for mocking them about it if there was a good list of common suggestions available.

P.S. The wiki doesn't count

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 05:32:13 pm »

There was a thread for suggestions about which threads to sticky. Since I'm for stickying some threads representing and gathering the most frequent questions perhaps it could be revived?
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 08:14:51 pm »

What's wrong with it already being discussed? I've had no trouble with the current system yet. If I know it's been suggested, or I've voiced my opinion before, I usually ignore repeat posts.