Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Religion - The Five Pale Sisters  (Read 1137 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Dwarven Religion - The Five Pale Sisters
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:24:07 pm »

We have revered and feared the Five Pale Sisters for time immemorial - before even the beginnings of history.  Just as Armok (may our limbs be forever inventoried), brings judgment upon the unworthy among the nobility and peasantry alike, so do the Five Pale Sisters judge our kin.  But while Armok (may we be forever in the shadow of his beard) brings down his wrath upon those who oppress their fellow dwarves, the Five Pale Sisters' rage is extended to an entire fortress!  Those dwarves whose hubris extends beyond all reason, who gather great herds and claim massive areas as their own - those are the ones who the Five Pale Sisters judge. 

When the wrath of the Five Pale Sisters is aroused upon a fortress, terrible things happen.  The weather changes to an eerie calm, and the rains depart.  The winter ice will become eternal, and will not melt even on Midsummer's Day.  When that day comes, the very blood of the earth runs cold, and magma no longer gives our halls its heat or light.  Each moment becomes tormented, and every day stretches into an unimaginable eternity.  Such is the wrath of the Five Pale Sisters.

Each of these five vengeful deities must be invoked individually, or else your fortress will surely come to an end.

The first can be placated by the calming of waters.  The damming of rivers pleases her, and she will provide you with her favor, so long as you dig no channels and pump no water.

The second is pleased by the destruction of the unholy.  Those who cower in fear of ambushes, and those who mine the ore adamant, yet refuse to face its guardians - both will know her wrath until their sacred and bloody task is complete.

The third, She-who-finds-paths, is susceptible to flattery.  If you widen the halls of your fortress, such that three dragons could walk abreast, and engrave upon them tales of her greatness, she, too, will lift her curse.

The fourth, whose beauty was stolen by Shroler when the world was young, wishes to hide her shame.  Avert your eyes when you pass her shrines, and lower your cap when you pass her temple.  Though your vision may be obscured, she will surely give you peace

The fifth's hand can only be stayed by sacrifices.  Slaughter enough animals, and she, too will lift her curse.  Cats are anathema to her - avoid her wrath, and do not allow them to multiply.

Performing these rites will lighten the burden, but once cursed by the Five Pale Sisters, no fortress is entirely free.  Seek, then, to avoid their wrath.  Heed my warning, claim not the lands of others, reach not beyond your grasp, grow not your ranks beyond our Civilization’s Power United. 

- an excerpt from "Jreengus Prevention - the Burdens and Responsibilities of Nobility", published by Tulon Zaledrith, Chief Philosopher of the Mountainhomes.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Religion - The Five Pale Sisters
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:14:55 pm »

--Fourth wall is now broken--

So, this is a guide to achieve higher FPS ?.? Because I understand all of them except #4.

b-C-w --> Material? Fourth.

You start building a Rough Fourth Block Wall.

The Fourth Wall is finished.

--We now return to your regularly scheduled community games forum--
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:17:43 pm »

As many dwarves have images of demons striking down dwarves (the dwarves are in a fetal position) on their hats, many of which are made of Kitten Bone, one might describe these Caps as being Graphic indeed. 

Lowering them is a sign of respect.

For more information, please contact my assistant, Urist WhiskeyKills, or, as we affectionately call him, Wiki.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:48:02 pm by Qmarx »

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 01:33:19 am »

I like it!   :D

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 02:37:10 am »

"Jreengus Prevention" made me giggle like a giddy schoolgirl, but I will admit that the meaning behind the writings themselves whizzed right over my head at first. A second reading helped it finally click. Good stuff!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 03:38:31 am »

Maybe lowering your caps means lower the population caps.  :P
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 06:20:13 am »

Graphical Frame Per Second Cap.  It's a little obscure... I based the list somewhat off the wiki.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 05:14:14 pm »

Graphical Frame Per Second Cap.  It's a little obscure... I based the list somewhat off the wiki.

Oh, that makes more sense. That's why your vision will be obscured.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.