Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Emigration  (Read 1202 times)

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Emigration
« on: May 25, 2007, 04:45:00 pm »

The fortress is currently like a Hotel California for dwarves... they can go on break any time they like, but they can never leave.

Perhaps dwarves should quit and leave in disgust sometimes when things don't go their way.  Now, they can become melancholy and sulk, they can gibber and run around dropping their clothes everywhere, or they can go postal.  Perhaps a fourth option would just be to hit the road?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:00 pm »

It's a good idea, and should definitely be possible if alot of your population is unhappy. They should also take all their things with them when they leave, and disown all their rooms.

As well, if the same thing applies to nobles, that'd be even more awsome. If you fail to meet enough demands, and the hammerer hasn't arrived, the demanding noble leaves... Instead of drowning (which will be alot harder to pull off in the next version)

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 05:08:00 pm »

Even with a hammerer, a noble should leave if demands are consistently ignored. Beating your 72nd peasant can't be that satisfying unless your the hammerer, and if a noble gets enough legendary dwarves hammered he's dying no matter what.

"You ain't goin nowhere sucka!" *Pulls caged unicorns lever*

[ May 25, 2007: Message edited by: Funkadelic Jive Turkey ]

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 05:11:00 pm »

Ah, you can just starve them to death. Its not hard.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 11:01:46 am »

I saw this idea in another thread, I wanted to bump this instead of making a new one.  Search feature in the new forum is pretty good, though it's hard to figure some things out.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 12:09:29 pm »

It was mentioned in the "dwarves with goals" thread (by me! i think) and it turns out to be a pretty common idea (a good one though).
Basically, it would help keep shifting dwarves around so you can't rely on the original 7 and leave the rest to poverty.
See also; aging and death.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 01:52:32 am »

Another positive aspect of emigration is that it explains where all your immigrants actually come from .. with the exception of abandoning a fortress ..  and it would open the argument for immigrant with actual skill. Or maybe even attributes.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:43:53 am »

There's nothing new under the sun... or in the suggestions forum.
But yes, I support this.

Sylverone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sylverone.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:40:02 am »

Most certainly! This is something that should definitely be added in. Actually, I think I was actually planning on suggesting this at some point... I'll check my suggestion notes... no, I think I said it in a thread somewhere and forgot to record it...

Anyway, there should also be special circumstances that could cause a dwarf to leave. A relative dies, your civ is at war and demands a quota number of troops from your fortress, or a dwarf lost their husband to a ratman attack and developed a hate for all ratmen, so she leaves your fortress on a personal quest of revenge against the despised creatures... which you later read records of in the world's legends... etc.