Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchant Guard left behind  (Read 1472 times)

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchant Guard left behind
« on: July 01, 2008, 02:59:10 pm »

So, I started a new fortress and just got the autumn caravan. However, it just left and a guard is left behind.

Now he's no longer a merchant, now he's merely "friendly"...

Am I stuck with him now or something? (There was a post about this in december that Toady wanted a save for. I can happily provide that, it'll be here soon)

Edit: Here is the save. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=267
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:01:36 pm by Logical2u »
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Guard left behind
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:10:40 pm »

I have a similar thing happen where a guard stays when the liaison is still on the map, but he leaves with the liaison, not sure if that's a bug or not.  I've been treating it as a feature.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 03:28:39 pm »

My liaison has already left, so that can't be the case.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 03:34:24 pm »

I was just about to make a post with this same thing. Dwarves arrived, I got TWO guards left behind. I am not sure if they were with the caravan or with the liason, as they both came in the initial autumn.

I first noticed them on my unit list as two sworddwarves. Having no military yet, I found this strange. Found them just sitting on the edge of my map... then realized they were also on my military screen and I could order them around. Now they guard my front door.

Two free Sworddwarves wearing all steel equipment? yes please.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 03:36:39 pm »

Those weren't guards, those were military immigrants, which are currently glitched. Because they're in the military they don't get the immigrant task to converse in the meeting hall at the start, so they just sit on the edge. It happened to me many times in my last fortress.

My guard cannot be ordered around, sadly. Maybe he'll starve and I'll get his stuff though.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 03:38:46 pm »

I really hate to double post...

But I just reloaded the world (to check the situation in post 3) and the guard left when some immigrants arrived.

Weird.

Corak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 03:46:12 pm »

Oh, I had no idea you could even get military immigrants. That is pretty darn useful, if nothing more than for the steel they bring. Sweet.

Jades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jades.org
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 04:27:44 am »

Oh, I had no idea you could even get military immigrants. That is pretty darn useful, if nothing more than for the steel they bring. Sweet.

Might have been fixed, but there was (IIRC) a bug where immigrant soldiers arrived 'On Duty' and while they were standing there no other immigrants could show up until the soldier was 'Off Duty' or moved somewhere else - he would be blocking the square the immigrants spawned on.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 07:36:11 pm »

Just a bump because the bug occured again with next year's dwarven caravan. It's almost as if the things they are guarding leave too fast for the pathfinding to kick in or something. He'll probably leave soon though,

Edit: Yea, he left within a few days... although this time I managed to mark all his armour for dumping... so it's mine :D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:38:13 pm by Logical2u »