Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My thoughts on the game so far  (Read 1240 times)

AtomicTesticle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My thoughts on the game so far
« on: June 29, 2008, 09:59:24 pm »

Just wanted to say how much I love this thing, it makes me want to cuss up and down and punch so many elderly people in the face from its sheer awesomeness.

Specific things i'd like to see?

I'd love to have a solitary designations per dwarf: lock on and go here. I've used the welfare version for movement of activation and having them run in wide circles making sure nothing makes it in the line of sight, but it doesn't work most of the time. It frustrates me to have to wait for my miners to finish one part of a channel to assign more so they don't trap themselves or cause a random, should-be easily avoidable cave in. And to have my marksdwarves be able to stalk ambushing goblins and run away instead of shooting them up right a the bat leaving them there to poop their pants on a biblical level.

I'd like to have the (u) unit menu to be able to scroll faster, or even allow searching so i dont have to scroll, press c, scroll, press c, scrolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll press c. Also when building a structure (shift c in he b menu) if the materialswere treated more like how the building menu is, as when you scroll and select an object, the next time you go to build it leaves it there.

Lastly, I'd love to see a difference in the definition of "outside." When I set it to only soldiers go outside, all my other dwarves who travel in an enclosed outside space go nuts since they think I mean up top, not out front. My most recent fortress has been fruitful since a three high plateu has been broken up into 3 pieces, leaving my monument out of harms way.

Etc.

Thanks for the amazing game.
STD free since 1987

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My thoughts on the game so far
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:00:02 pm »

You are aware that you can use Page Up / Page Down to scroll through a page at a time for most (any?) menu that uses the arrow keys rather than +/-, right? Just want to make sure you know 'cause that sounds like something I'd miss myself. 

Anyway, I'm fairly new myself and agree pretty well whole-heartedly with all of the above. Except I prefer kicking to punching. That, and I'd like to see a more uniform interface, but that's a big project and I can make do just fine with the current one.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 01:05:24 am »

Except I prefer kicking to punching.
Kicking is more clevererer indeed, as your feet are usually protected by shoez, while your knuckles generally remain bare. Also, you don't need your feet for writing or typing.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

coldstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold stone given life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 03:36:53 am »

i love rapid scrolling. the * and / on the number pad do the same for + - ya knoow. as for construction, build a stone pile, make it only for what youre building in, and build like a mad man. then its like enter enter left enter enter enter left etc