Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Import/Export Agreements.  (Read 538 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Import/Export Agreements.
« on: June 29, 2008, 12:16:30 pm »

Obviously there's a lot of potential in this topic, but right now I'm suggesting more for the sake of the eventual fort retirement...

I'm thinking that the trade agreement screen could be changed. Perhaps it would be more specific, like an agreement to trade out X amount of Y next year in exchange for N amount of Z. The general import screen could be a constant, where it would be shifted around by you throughout the year, and the traders could check it each year when they arrived, also possibly taking advantage to charge you more for whatever supply of your need they happened to have. It probably wouldn't work the opposite way, to avoid exploitation.

But what I was getting at, before I got distracted by all the shiney options, was that you could set, in some way, what your fortress would export. Then, when you retired it, the fort would send out export caravans with the goods they had made that year, and your new fort could buy off of them. This could take advantage of all those high-ore, low-fuel areas, exporting the ore to your new high-fuel, high-flux, low-ore zone, which would sell off finished products to all and sundry.

I only just thought of this because my new fort has lots of Marble, a few precious metal veins, and NO TREES AT ALL.