Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Searched Everywhere. Here's a New One, Toady  (Read 759 times)

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
  • You do the voodoo that you do.
    • View Profile
Searched Everywhere. Here's a New One, Toady
« on: June 27, 2008, 09:28:21 pm »

I looked through the forums and the known bugs list to make sure this isn't old news. I think I just experienced a rare bug. Alright, so, I had a dwarf carrying either a rock or a cave spider web out to a garbage dump site to clear out my water lock, right? So he's climbing up the five or six flights of stairs, right? On the third or fourth, got a message sayin' he was too injured to complete his job, and less than a second later drowns freezes to death. Dead. Staircase. Not even a little moist. Dead. Out of idiocy I saved the file right after his death, so no recreating the event, but if Toady still wants the save file, I can upload it somewhere. Anyone want snapshots of the Announcements page and the inexplicable dead little dwarfy on the staircase?

P.S. It was either still spring or the summer of embark year, so nothing was afoot.

P.S.S. I did what would seem like some unrelated cheating because it was more of a test map than a hardcore fortress. Revealed the map, and I anti-hungry-and-thirstied a few dwarves, one of which may have been Mister Chokes-On-Airborne-Water-Molecules freezes in a temperate climate in spring/summer there. Anyway, look into it?

Oh, everything else is peachy keen. Newest release, no mods in place, or the like.

Edit: He froze to death, he did not drown. Woops. Lemme check the bug list for this one. *smacks head* Froze to death... Froze to death...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:37:31 pm by Caretaker Eric »
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Searched Everywhere. Here's a New One, Toady
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 09:46:39 pm »

Him being all dead and stuff:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/neomaster321365/DeadDwarfyStaircase.jpg

Him being announced as dying really fast from being cold. It isn't cold there:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a218/neomaster321365/FrozeToDeath.jpg
The voodoo that I do in this case is run down children with a helicopter, swinging away at them with a gigantic ball menacing with spikes of magnetite.

"And you can get moose silk naturally or through a botched smelter reaction." - Kagus

"Dwarf Fortress: Using waterwheels to power your pumps to power the waterwheels." - kernel

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 09:47:26 pm »

Were you using Tweak? Tiles modified by tweak are set, by default, to a temperature of 0. That kills dwarves instantly.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:47:46 pm »

did you use the tile edit tool in tweak? That tool is bugged and usually set the temperature of a tile to  a bajillion degrees below absolute zero forever, so every dwarf who stands on it even for a second freezes to death.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:54:51 pm »

I did use tweak, but I have a few comments on that. The only two tiles I used tweak on were the two in my water lock, cause I was seeing the limits of the tile editor. That said, one, I checked the temperature thing and it was defaulted to like... 15000 something. Which I'm pretty sure is normal dwarven temperature. Unless I'm insane. Second, he went and grabbed the thing on top of the tile and got pretty damn far away for being completely frozen the whole walk. I dunno. Insight?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 02:21:55 am »

When i was messing with tiletool and ended up freezing my dwarves to death, yes they would sometimes walk quite a distance before they dropped dead so if he walked in one of the tiles you edited then it's a good chance that's why he froze to death.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Caretaker Eric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 06:55:35 pm »

I'll just assume I overlooked editing the temperature and go on with my life. Thanks guys. And BurnedToast, I think we all appreciate your longevity as a forum poster. Grats.