Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: drinking from lakes/streams impossible - 'open space' 38c  (Read 557 times)

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
drinking from lakes/streams impossible - 'open space' 38c
« on: June 28, 2008, 07:01:49 am »

it's kind of bumming me out when i pick a stream on the map expecting to drink from it, only to realize that while you can fish off it easily enough, you cannot drink from it because it counts as an 'open space'.
that is, while the water level below the stream is 7/7, meaning that it is full to the brim, the next square over it in the Z axis fails to have even a 'floor' or water(compare to a brook), and you simply cannot drink from it.
lakes are not very usable at the moment, and another annoyance is that within a season dry up and don't replenish.

i would make a ramp into these bodies of water, but then i would expect dwarves to stumble around and drown in it instead. i really think adding a water-roof for 7/7 water-squares, like is done on brooks is the most sensible solution.

had a pickless fort die of dehydration even though they had piles of freshly fished turtles.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: drinking from lakes/streams impossible - 'open space' 38c
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 10:37:25 am »

I think this is the point of making wells.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:08:25 am »

Um...I've not had this problem myself. Dwarves are perfectly capable of drinking from above water supplies. In fact, that's how I realized that I had too few drink barrels in one fort - my water cistern was no longer at 7/7 everywhere. Are you sure you marked the drinking zone to include some ground adjacent to the water?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 02:21:44 pm »

well i didn't mark out a drinking zone back then. i assumed that it was more of a restriction to dwarves than an aid for pathfinding. but if the fishermen can find the lakes, thirsty dwarves should as well.

it's not possible that inland lakes are contaminated, is there? by salt water or etc.
also, can dwarves drink from a lower Z level if the water level is something like 1/7 below them?
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.