Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer advice?  (Read 3079 times)

wraith577

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Computer advice?
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:30:34 am »

I'm ordering a new gaming computer on Wednesday, but I'm not quite sure what to get! If you would, I could really use some advice on where to find deals (Note: there are no physical computer stores in my area), and what to look for.

So far, the best I've found is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227068 . I've heard that Intel is generally better than AMD, but can't find one at the same price with a 9800 GTX graphics card. I've also heard that the price is a bit high. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated ^^.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Computer advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:34:01 am »

It'd be much easier to help if you gave us information like a price range and what sort of gaming you'll be doing and if things like noise and heat are a concern and etc.   Everyone's different- I mean, if you didn't want specific help you could've probably just uh, I dunno, done a google search and found something like this -> http://techreport.com/articles.x/15009

wraith577

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:49:29 am »

Sorry, I'm rather tired >.<

I'm looking for something under $1300. Since I will be living in a dorm, noise is something of a concern, as I'd rather not keep my roommate awake with a fan that sounds like a Saturn V. I'm into FPSs and RTSs, so it will need to play high end games like Crysis and Supreme Commander. Heat shouldn't be much of an issue as long as I can find proper ventilation in the dorm room. It's a decent sized dorm.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 01:15:23 am »

Under $1300 is a pretty wide limit.  I recently upgraded my computer from a stock Pressario to a solid gaming machine for less than $200. 

I recently got a XFX GeForce 8400 512MB that's serving me quite well, except the thing's as loud as a floor fan.  I can't sleep without white noise, so this is fine for me, but might be a problem for you.  It's powerful enough to run pretty much anything on the market (according to systemrequirementslab it can run Crysis, except my processor is too slow).

One thing I've learned in recent upgrades is to be very careful about what kind of motherboard to start with, specifically processor pin-type.  The "industry standard" seems to change every six weeks, rendering any incompatable parts (still useful for older boards) simultaneously 'obsolete' and impossible to find.  Expect to have a hard time rebuilding the thing again after more than a year, so build it to survive the game technology curve until the next time you expect to get a thousand bucks.

The other bit of advice I could add is to get a faster processor than you think you'll need.  That requirement seems to be jumping higher recently.  And make sure you get an adequate power supply and go all out on cooling.  The more powerful a computer is, the more electricity is coursing through it.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:27:36 am »

Well, my suggestion may not be the best for gaming at the beginning, but its still mighty powerful for around £600 ($1200). Its an Advent Quad Core, 2.4GHz, has 3GB of ram and a 250GB HDD. The graphics card isn't the best out there, but i've heard that this pc's fairly good at chop and changing components. Heres a link of a review i found.

http://www.reviews.co.uk/i-176648.html

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:52:54 am »

I've only got a stock computer (bought it about 5-6 years ago) with two 512 MB ram cards and a newly integrated 6600 Nvidia Card. It can run Crysis on medium, and you know what, I'm fine with that. Shame it's only got about 160 GB of space, compared to there people in the half a TB range of space.

I love my old turtle of a computer. It might just be the really neat 'ATARI' sticker I threw onto there a few years back.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.