Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: can you make a Porticullis  (Read 1988 times)

andrew01292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
can you make a Porticullis
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:51:28 pm »

Is there a way to make a three tile wide wall that can raise and lower? I'm making my trade depot inside for better protection and i was wondering...

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: can you make a Porticullis
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 07:56:49 pm »

You could line up three one-tile-long bridges like so:
Code: [Select]
===
===
===
since one-tile-long bridges turn into walls when raised. You could also use floodgates or even doors. All of these, however, count as buildings and can be destroyed by buildingdestroyers.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

andrew01292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 08:07:01 pm »

If they were build over a channel and raised on the opposite side of the channel, could the destroyers break them? EDIT: could the 3 wide bridges be connected to one lever? and how do you trade? it keeps saying that my frot can't be reached and there is a clear path, although you have to change Z levels
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 08:13:56 pm by andrew01292 »

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:25:13 pm »

No, Building destroyers can't destroy something they can't reach. That's called a moat, and medieval civilizations the whole world over figured out the utility of building a big ditch around their valuables. (Later they filled the ditch with water to prevent people from just digging under the walls.)

It works handily in DF, too. :)

If you want a raisable portcullis that creatures cannot walk through, but your defenders can shoot through, and building destroyers cannot get to, and that you can turn into a wall in an emergency involving creatures that shoot back, here's how you do it:

Assume the entry is the south.

Code: = = wall
# = Wall Grate or Vertical Bars (either/or, they're effectively the same as of the current version)
L = Lever
D = Drawbridge (Raises to the north)
B = the anchor-point of the drawbridge - this becomes a wall when the bridge is raised
R = Retracting bridge
_ = Channel/ditch/moat filled with whatever you can fill it with.
Spaces are any old flooring

Code: [Select]
======
     =
     =
  LLL=
==========#####===========
==========BBBBB===========
__________DDDDD____________
__________RRRRR_____________

Now, I'll explain the reasoning behind all of this:
Three levers. One of them (Use whatever system to keep track of levers you want to, just make sure you know which one does what) is hooked up to ALL of the Grates/Bars. Another is hooked up to the Drawbridge, and the last is hooked up to the Retracting Bridge.

When down, the grates can be shot through, but cannot be passed through - these are your portcullis.

The Drawbridge is only two squares wide - it's only real purpose is to turn into a wall, but as a secondary function, if anything does get to that part of the bridge, you can Atomsmash them with it. The drawbridge effectively forms the "huge doors" part of the portcullis and doors bisuness you see on classic castles.

The retracting bridge is native to Dwarf Fortress. When you pull it, the bridge vanishes, and anything that was on it falls into the ditch, whereupon they mill about until your marskdwarves get around to shooting them, the ditch filled with spike traps, whereupon you PULL THE LEVER (not shown) for HAPPY FUN TIMES, the moat of water, in which case they drown, or the moat of lava, for EPIC HAPPY FUN TIMES.

Now, you may notice that the levers have been seperated from the gate entirely. This is for a reason - this is because civilians, not soldiers, pull the levers. The last thing you want is your civilian darting out to pull the gate, getting scared because the Enemy is a screen and a half away and charging at your gates, and instead of LOCKING THEM OUT, runs and hides like a pussy. Ideally, the gatehouse is entirely seperate from the courtyard, so your civilians never ever risk seeing the Enemy. Obviously, your trade Depot is to the north, inside the courtyard. (Whether it's indoors or out is immaterial.)

So, you have three options here. You can lower the portcullis, and the enemy can run right up to the gates (whereupon you can Atomsmash them or shoot them, or drop them into the moat at your pleasure.) You can seal off the outside with the retracting bridge, but leave the portculis up - presumably because you want to lure flying enemies inside, without letting walking ones in. (I dunno why, but it's good to have extra options.) You can just raise the drawbridge and form a wall (and yes, there's a reason there's a double wall there, it's so the drawbridge and the portcullis are both flush with walls when they're in place.)

About the moat - if you want to, you can use it as a method of regulated enemy interception. If you dig a path into the fort from it, door it off with forbidden doors, you can drop the enemies in there, then station your melee forces behind the door - open the door. Instant arena. Or you can just let them pathfind down a clear corridor full of cage traps for use in a more formal arena.

Or well, use your imagination. :)

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:35:43 pm »

I'd like to make note that, obviously, DF is very, very flexible. You can do all kinds of things by using similar arrangements here - you could make a proper gatehouse, complete with murder-holes for your marksdwarves to shoot through (they can shoot through floor grates, I think, but do remember that you have to channel out the old surface if you're building it on natural surface).

andrew01292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:33:08 pm »

Most ingenius! Thank you for our assistance! May your beard never fall out!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:41:49 pm by andrew01292 »

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:49:15 pm »

I hope you meant never fall out.

Anyway, I'm writing a whole page on Fortifications now, for the DF Wiki.

[edit]That page is up, in a rudimentary form: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Fortifications

It's very rough, but at the moment it should form a good "basis" for helping people figure out how to set up defenses. Examples, visual aids, would be nice, I may work on them when I can be arsed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 11:49:28 pm by ShadowDragon8685 »

andrew01292

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:32 pm »

Yes, I can set my fortress up good, although my trouble is with theives and seiges. I leave myself open and inviting.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 12:45:39 am »

^^same here, my current fort has people hanging around nw of my reactors (yes, I found some pitchblende and have it sitting in large olivine swimming pools of water (because I couldn't get granite on my map) and gobbo ambushers keep arriving and killing my guys, last one I got tantrums from and only spotted them when the fishery dwarf spotted 2 axedwarves next to him, so I sicked the social peasant wrestlers onto them :D

now I just gotta make more =iron chain mail=...
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:21:15 am »

I always build a small medieval castle with moat, drawbridge and ramparts, towers added for style.

It is not only for style reasons I do it since a small, compact caste with the Depot in the courtyard surrounding the real entrance is an insanly efficient defence. 2-3 patrols of 4 marksdwarves have patrol duty on the ramparts meaning they are always manned, thiefs, snatchers and ambushes gets turned to pincushions immidiatly, and in case of a real siege I can either choose to let them inside the courtyard where I can slaughter them with melee troops while marksdwarves shoot them from the ramparts, or close up altogether. I've had demons assault these defences to no avail.

Not to mentin they look great in 3dwarf.