Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baby becomes a child, game crashes  (Read 1073 times)

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Baby becomes a child, game crashes
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:25:41 pm »

So I pulled up the save of my current fortress, played for a little while and the game crashed on me.  I pulled it up again another day, played for about the same amount of time but working on different projects by and large, and it crashed on me again.  I went to look in the logs and I note that in both cases, the last message in the game logs is Tulon Kivishlanir has grown to become a Child.

Is this worth sending the save to Toady?  I'm running mostly vanilla DF, only using a common graphics pack, and using Dwarf Companion just for checking out combat reports.  If so, is there somewhere listed what info is useful for him?  I'm happy to abandon and start a new fortress in any case, but if I have useful info on my computer I'd rather preserve it first.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Baby becomes a child, game crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:27:02 am »

Apparently you have a child that somehow brings about the apocalypse upon growing up. Sounds like some kind of religious figure. I suggest you kill him, before it's too late!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:30:11 am »

If you've got a save that reliably crashes, I think he would be very interested in seeing it. 

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 12:38:16 pm »

Also, you don't need to reformat to re-install DF- it wasn't clear from your comment, so just in case you where.

Also, you should try to use a program like Tweak to explode the baby before it grows up, and test that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:57 pm »

I wasn't really planning on reinstalling, let alone reformatting, I don't think there is a problem with my installation.  I'm just kind of bored with the fortress anyways (the king has arrived, it is a pain to setup some of the projects I want to, fps is starting to be noticeable, etc) and a game ending crash is a good excuse.

But I suppose if I want to help with the debugging, I should probably see if the kids an issue or if it is just coincidence that his growing up immediately proceeds game crash.  (I'm a programmer, I can do testing, I'm just less inclined to do it when I'm off-work and trying to relax.)  Maybe I can use Dwarf Companion and turn the baby into a marmot or something.  I should make a copy of the save first, though, I guess.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 08:36:26 pm »

I'll take a look at it if it's consistent, but I can never get crashes to reproduce if there's a long delay between the crash and the point where it loads, because of intervening events, etc.  If you get something that reproduces reliably then I'll probably be able to fix it up.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!