Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refuse to build when their preferred standing spot is indirectly blocked  (Read 663 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have a floor designated to be built like this:
Code: [Select]
#####
##___##   +: constructed floor
#_____#   .: natural floor
#__X__#   _: open space
#__+__#   <-- This floor
##_+_##   
 ##.##
The trick is that the staircase, which is where the dwarves would normally like to stand, is not accessible (it's what I used to dig the wellshaft, for this is a (as-yet dry) well). So the dwarves silently refuse to build. I'm assuming that the problem is that they check the spot left of the floor - can't stand there. Okay, how about right?  Can't stand there either. Okay, up? Yep, I can stand there, okay how do I get there? No path. Well, so much for that. I've confirmed that removing the wall that's blocking the staircase results in the floor getting built.

I've uploaded a save here to illustrate the problem.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Is this one modded like the other one?  Once I've got the txt files I should be able to check it out.  I'm not sure what's up since even with an open space it should check the level components.  I'm unclear about which of the floors in the diagram have been built.  Was the south part accessible?  What were you expecting to happen?
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, they're all modded. Sorry; I should be noting that. If I recall correctly, the only differences are that goblins are made of metal and have fewer items, and neither dwarves nor goblins use bows/crossbows.

The southern floor is built; the northern floor is designated to be built. I expect the dwarves to stand on the southern floor to build the northern floor, but they don't. It's only when I re-open access to the staircase by removing a wall above this floor that they build the floor, and then by standing on the staircase.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

The only way I can think of that that would happen would be that blocking off the stairway did not properly update the level connection components to show that the stairway square was disconnected from the dwarf thinking about the job.  There were a few bugs I fixed for next time related to this, but I don't know specifically if those fixes would resolve this situation.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!