Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] How to mine for trees (not towercaps)  (Read 894 times)

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] How to mine for trees (not towercaps)
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:12:24 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-630-howtominefortrees

This is part of a fort I've been playing with for a LONG time. Zero immigration, only offspring of starting 7. Zero imported wealth. And they almost never go outside because they're not numerous enought o deal with the goblins.

There's a few bugs shown here with temperature in 38c, but I laughed my ass off when I realized my dwarfs could now mine for alder.

I flooded an area with magma to play with magma, to kill a few goblins outside my fort and more specifically to destroy their gear they left lying around. Then on a lark I pumped some water out there too. The magma did not burn the trees because the magma is blocked from entering the tree squares and because they never share a square the tree never gets hot enough.

After dousing it with water I now have trees that are completely surrounded by obsidian that I can mine my way to.

AWDBall

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] How to mine for trees (not towercaps)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:18:50 pm »

Hah! Now figure out how to mine for fish. ;)

You do know that you can scroll the cursor more quickly by holding down shift when you move it, right?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:30:51 pm »

Yeah the scroll sure looked horrid in the movie. When paused I'm getting 200 frames per second and hadn't noticed until I watched the movie. It just adds to the suspence (Hehe). And it lets you see the ash left over from some bush or sapling that did burn, and the pebbles before we get to the completely covered tree.

AWDBall

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:21:58 pm »

You already can mine for fish. Yay cave river!