Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 800 points for a woodcutting axe!?  (Read 1026 times)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
800 points for a woodcutting axe!?
« on: June 18, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »

Ok, i added in a tweaked version of mithril from Teldin's mod (closer to Tolkien, 'violet mithril' my axe  >:(). It seemed like it would be fine and dandy, nice and rare (only found in native silver and native platinum) but there was a minor hitch. On the embark screen only mithril axes are available, which are a whopping 800 points. I surmise that the game chooses the best non-[DEEP] metal for the axe, but 800 for a woodcutter's hatchet is way too much, thats almost as much as the anvil! Is there something i can edit to let you choose axes of any metal on the embark screen?

On that note, is there a way to let the woodcutter use something other than a battleaxe? Specifically a hatchet which would be 1-handed for even a kobold. All weapon values seem to be fixed though, so it would be for purely aestetic reasons.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:27:58 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: 800 points for a woodcutting axe!?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:27:19 pm »

Only dwarves will pick the best non-[DEEP] metal available, but since they're the only ones normally available in for mode it's a moot point.

Anyways, although you can't choose from multiple metals, you can just slap the [DEEP] tag on mithril.  That will prevent it from being used normally, and unless you also put it on the stone it's extracted from you won't have any mithril-coated "happy places".

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:30:43 pm »

But if i make mithril [DEEP], would that mean i wouldn't be able to find it in higher elevation silver/platinum deposits or only at the same level as adamantite? I don't want to make it exceedingly rarer than adamantite.

On that note, is there a way to let the woodcutter use something other than a battleaxe? Specifically a hatchet which would be 1-handed for even a kobold. All weapon values seem to be fixed though, so it would be for purely aestetic reasons.

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:46:38 pm »

You can edit the raws and add in new weapons with thier own damage values. Also Kagus said to put the [DEEP] tag on the metal and NOT on the ore. That would eliminate it from embark and still make it appear in plat/silver viens (if I read his post right.)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:48:05 pm »

The size tag determines how many hands it takes to use it. I *think* a creature can only use weapons with the same size as them 1-handed but I'm not 100% sure that's how it works (and too lazy to search the wiki for you). So just mod in a new 'hatchet' that's really small any anyone can use it one handed.

As far as the deep tag goes, he said to add it to the metal not the ore, so the ore will be available like normal but the metal won't be able to be used by civs (only by you in fortress mode). I think it should work fine but I've never tried it so don't blame me if your fortress explodes into a mithril volcano or something  :P
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 01:07:01 am »

Oh, the metal not the stone. Gotcha. About the hatchet, i meant value as in cost. All weapons seem to be 10x value of the material, so a steel hatchet would cost the same as a steel battleaxe. I take it woodcutters can use any weapon that uses axe skill?

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:26:21 am »

Yes, any kind of axe. I had human woodcutters hacking down trees with halberds  ;D
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?