Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The dwarven diet  (Read 3796 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarven diet
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 12:25:59 pm »

One fort I had a weird vermin problem, just vermin all over the place. I set a hauler to exclusive trapper duty, but he barely put a dent in the food stockpile vermin. So I kept adding trappers. I had one trapper doing nothing but make animal traps and eight fulltime trappers, and they never ran out of things to catch. I assume this was a fluke.

But I realized my dwarves were just eating the caged vermin alive, and my mushroom farms were exclusively feeding my wine production. I had 160 dwarves eating mostly vermin, one legendary planter making plump helmets, one brewer making wine, and one cook making meals out of plump helmet seeds and wine. My economy was based on selling the seed/wine meals, and I basically had 140 haulers. I drafted them all and stationed them outside where they vomited all over their cats forever.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dwarven diet
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 03:59:11 pm »

I set the population cap to 30 at the start of every fortress, and this makes feeding quite easy.  For the first 3 years they enjoy all the wine, rum, beer, and ale that can be produced; and eat plump helmets that are grown, meat and fish that were originally brought.  Generally after about 3 years I finally need to trade for some meat or fish, but shortly after that the herds of donkeys, horses, dogs, and cats have reached maturity and can begin to be slaughtered.

During the 5th year I tend to start cooking alcohol into food, generally by this time the farmer/brewer has created a stockpile of over 10k drinks.  They will exclusively make biscuits for a number of years, and dwarves will then have more variety.

Around the 8th year I start really thinking about ways to free up more of that stockpile space.  I tend to reject allowing more dwarves into the utopia that has been built.  Instead I let the farms be fallow for a while.  During this time I progressively order the remaining meats and fish to be shifted around to maximize the barrel space.

This leads to cooking of proper roasts, by well trained chefs.  As the food supply climaxes into 10k I finally invite more dwarves to come and enjoy the bounty.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.
Pages: 1 2 [3]