Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ridiculous prices in economy  (Read 1701 times)

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
Ridiculous prices in economy
« on: June 16, 2008, 03:32:27 am »

I was browsing the items in my fortress when I noticed a few items with prices WAAAY higher than their respective base prices.  The culprit items were some large gems, with base values of 400 and 200, but prices of 20000 to 40000.  Looking at the price list, I noted that both the type of gem and large gems in general were 156-200%, but this still does not even begin to add up to the actual price of the gems in question!  It looks like economy price multipliers are screwed up rather badly.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ridiculous prices in economy
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:03:40 am »

What were the quality on those things?

High quality items like superior exceptional and mastercrafted can really make the prices skyrocket.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:52:19 am »

The base price on a large semiprecious gems is 200, so those were basic or well-crafted large gems.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:21:20 pm »

Quality affects base price, so that had nothing to do with it.  They were standard and -quality- anyway, so no particularily big multiplier there anyway.  The point is that somehow these gems were selling for 100x their base price, which can't possibly be right...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:06:42 pm »

Well, lets see...200% and 200%
Hmm..

200 * 200 = 40000

There we go! ;)

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:06 am »

That's really not how percents work.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:32:35 am »

I know, I was being silly.
Or am I not allowed to be silly because I'm a grumpy and cynical drake?

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 01:56:02 am »

Humor doesn't survive the translation to binary very well.. even less so when it's shot across the globe to someone else who's sense of humor isn't.
Cynicism rules the internet it seems, but even sarcasm doesn't do well on the digital plane.

Anyway, it sounds like a multiplier got lose somewhere and started breeding.. I can't think of anything else that would make the price jump that much. :P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 02:21:28 am »

I've been on the intertubes a long time, and I know that lesson very well, hence the smilie.

But that gets lost on some people.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 09:21:38 pm »

Keldor, do you have a save, preferably centered or otherwise located around the exact item in question?  It should be an easy fix if I have it in front of me.  I think there might be a bug report for wacky item prices, but if I remember it was ammunition.  In any case, it seems a bit high.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:24 pm »

The bug with ammunition involves decorating it (e.g. with bone or gems), and is very easy to replicate. The bonus is applied on a per-item basis instead of a per-stack basis, so if you have a stack of 25 bolts and a decoration that increases value by 200, the stack's value increases by 5000.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:25:08 am »

Looking further, I've noticed that all stone crafts (but not bone or shell) are also hideously overpriced - though "only" around 10-15x their base value in this case.  There are also a few items around that are severely underpriced.

Finally, I also noticed that wear and tear modifiers are not reflected in item prices.  XXPig Tail CapXX and Pig Tail Cap both have a price of 65, despite having much different base values (20 and 80 IIRC).

Let me see about uploading a save...

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=235

I just noticed that items that are already owned by dwarves have normal prices, whereas the unowned ones have the bad prices.  Could it be that whenever a noble alters prices, it's applying the new percentage to the old price, rather than the old value?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:41:51 am by Keldor »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 08:46:44 pm »

I've downloaded it.  It doesn't retain any pricing/value information for multipliers to be applied to each other after multiple price changes etc., so it's not clear to me what's going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!