Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Woo, survived first siege! But...  (Read 1380 times)

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woo, survived first siege! But...
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:33:53 pm »

I just survived my first goblin siege.

About twenty goblins showed up out of the middle of nowhere, and I panicked.  I had traders here, darnit!  But I had a military, albiet a small one, and they'd been doing a LOT of training.  12 dwarved, all armed with crossbows.  7 of them were actually MArksdwarves, 3 were Wrestlers, and 2 were Recruits.  I stationed them all directly in front of my fortress and waited for the goblins to come at me.

I lost three civilians and one Marksdwarf during the attack, but I routed the goblins and got a small fortune in Iron.

Unfortunately, I'm low on Wood and have no Magma, so my smelters are running into some downtime, and the traders ran like ninnies.  Still.  I'm pleased.

However, I have one problem.  One of my Stoneworkers was outside and was injured.  Now, none of his injuries show up under the Wounds screen for him, but he keeps flashing, and sometimes "PAIN" shows up on that screen in brown.  Then he poasses out, constantly.  Now, this guy is actually one of the more useful members of society, when he's conscious, and none of his body parts actually seem hurt in any way.  What can I do for him?  Anything?
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Woo, survived first siege! But...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 11:36:26 pm »

check his wound screen and scroll down - I'll bet he is missing an eye.

Make him a pump operator (or any other quick training job) for a year or 2 till he gets some levels in toughness and he should stop passing out. There is no penalty  (afaik anyway)  to missing an eye for non-military dwarves.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:19:06 pm »

IF you notice that one of the wounds is dark gray, then they are hurt. It's hard to detect but it sometimes the most annoying wound. They could have brain damage or be blind. Just listen to Over-Cooked bread and train his toughness!!! :D
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

KrataLightblade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:20:20 pm »

Well, you guys were correct, except it wasn't an eye, it was a lung.

He survived it though.  Well, up until the SECOND siege of goblins, whereupon I was attacked from both sides, by a total iof around 45 goblins, who slaughtered all my military in about twenty seconds flat.

Well, at least I can start over and do better next time!
Noble corpses: the secret ingredient in machinery lubricant.