Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No sand = no glass?  (Read 1222 times)

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No sand = no glass?
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:20:21 pm »

My mayor is fond of green glass and requested three green glass thingamogadgets made. But my map lacks sand so my glassmaker was thrown in jail for 40 days. Once released my mayor requested three green glass thingamogadgets made. This time my insolent glassmaker was promptly clubbed to death by the hammerer

Seems I cant get sand or glass from merchants either. Is there no way of acquiring glass without sand?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No sand = no glass?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »

Yep. You're out of luck, unless you fancy cheating and modifying one of your soil layers to be sandy (i.e. let you collect sand from it). Or there's the default answer of "just kill your mayor" which I always found rather tiresome myself.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:47:34 pm »

How do mod the game to make the soil sandy?

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:51:04 pm »

Go into the raws and find the soil/stone files.  Pick the soil you want to collect sand from and add the [SOIL_SAND] tag.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:56:37 pm »

Another option is to mod the game to have rock crystal much more common. The mineral mod has that (plus a lot more), and I do it in my mod. Basically, you add in rock crystal to every single type of rock, and allow it to show up in veins in some areas. Makes Orthoclase and Microcline much more useful if you can get 30 rock crystal or so out of it!

You're still stuck when they ask for green or clear glass, but at least you can make crystal glass objects. Which, for the most part, satisfies strange moods that need glass.

Oh, I should note that the downside of this modding is that you'll need to build a new world to see it, unlike the SAND tag, which I think goes into effect immediately.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One