Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Take apart fabric/leather clothes  (Read 879 times)

Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Take apart fabric/leather clothes
« on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:50 am »

Maybe the "melt" tag could be turned into a general "Take Apart" tag, which works nor only for metal but also for fabric/leather items. for example, a narrow leather armor could be taken apart in the leatherworks the same way a narrow iron chain mail is molten down at a furnace.

1. taking apart this stack of 500 narrow cave spider silk loincloths would be a useful task for all those workless immigrant weavers/leatherworkers.

2. you can get rid of all that junk in your trapped entrance

3. free leather, fabrik and silk! yaaaaaay!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Take apart fabric/leather clothes
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:00:24 pm »

Especially useful for [GIANT] cave spider silk.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:07:14 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 01:02:43 pm »

You forgot the "giant" part.  Half my gobos show up with GCS silk clothing.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 01:06:58 pm »

Only half of yours?  Seems like every gobbo arrives completely decked out in narrow GCS [insert clothing type here].  Fixed.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »

I like this concept, but cloth isn't really as fungible as metal is. You can make a metal bar out of melted armor that's indistinguishable from a metal bar made from ore, but you can't make a complete, patch-free sheet of leather from a thong (and making it patch-free from silk would entail a lot of very finicky work; your colors still probably wouldn't match). So my suggestion is that the output from a "take apart" job would be patched cloth, e.g. "Patched Giant Cave Spider Silk". This would have the same structural properties as the original material, but a lower value - say, half.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »

I'd probably keep dumping it into the volcano because I don't like dealing with clothes.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 01:59:24 pm »

Tearing them into scraps would make more sense. I'm not sure it's physically possible to dismantle, say, a shirt, into the cloth or thread it was made from without seriously damaging the material.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:03:48 pm »

On a similiar concept, I'd like to make items (mainly wooden) markable for burning. This would allow me to reclaim the hundreds of catapult parts used to train my siege engineers and burn them into charcoal.

Makuus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:30:25 pm »

I don't really see the point of this suggestion. Don't caravans bring you whole bins of leather and cloth and your worthless clothes seem to be worth a load. You don't have to be a genius to work out what to do.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »

I don't really see the point of this suggestion. Don't caravans bring you whole bins of leather and cloth and your worthless clothes seem to be worth a load. You don't have to be a genius to work out what to do.
You don't get any benefit in terms of increasing exported wealth if you sell items that were initially imported, and that includes items you've lifted off of goblin corpses. However, you can take those items and use them as inputs to create some craft, and that craft will count towards your exported wealth.

More to the point, you can make things that are actually usable, instead of just making trade goods (for example, you could turn patched cloth into bags, which are frequently in short supply). And patched GCS silk is still worth more than the crappy no-quality imported cloth you can get from caravans.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels