Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving goblins  (Read 707 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Moving goblins
« on: June 13, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

Would moving goblins to a diffrent cage cause them to eccape?
I really need to know because I can't afford to make hundreds of cages for my death trap.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Moving goblins
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

Try it with one with some axedwarves on standby. Make sure that the goblin has NOTHING just to be sure.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

If you haven't built the cage with the goblin in it yet (EG: It's lying in a stockpile or still in its trap) you can just build that cage and the goblin will not escape.

Boethiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

ive moved them from cage to cage without them escaping. It wast very far but they didnt escape. I *think* that if the creature is being led to another cage and is larger than the dwarf, i.e megabeasts, the dwarf will wet himself and run off, releasing the creature.
quot;AHA!" Kodor cried, and opened the cabinet. Some crumpets fell out. The whole thing was stuffed full of them.

"Crumpets!" shouted the Captain in glee.

Hobo Symbols!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Metal Chao:
<STRONG>If you haven't built the cage with the goblin in it yet (EG: It's lying in a stockpile or still in its trap) you can just build that cage and the goblin will not escape.</STRONG>

The problem here is the massive amount of effort that would take to prepare the excecution.

If it helps hereis the trap in question, if it helps

The problem now isn't the cages needed, but the mechanisms needed.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 01:26:18 am »

Make sure they aren't "goblin thieves" The wiki says they're prone to escape. Other than that, it's fairly easy to move goblin prisoners.

Then again, I had a badly-injured dwarf try to transfer cats from one cage to another, and pass out in the middle of the task.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 02:05:58 am »

You want to keep all the goblins?  Make a room for drowning things.  You'll probably use it for more than just goblins.  Build the cage in the flood room, link to the flood lever, get out, pull lever and flood.  All that SHOULD be left is an un-built cage and a drowned goblin.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 03:51:56 am »

a good way of dealing with this is by using very specific stockpiles.

Build the cage into which you wish to haul the goblins at the proper place.

designate an animal stockpile that only accepts goblins, 1x3 wide right next to it, I mean immidiatly next to it. Put this stockpile to "take from" your general animal stockpile which could be located anywhere in the fortress. It is important to have one if you would capture more than 1 goblin at a time to avoid getting your cage traps swamped.

the Dwarves will now haul the caged goblins to your preferd location, once there you check the content of the unbuilt cages to get the name of the closest goblins, and then you go to the built caged and mark these goblins for caging.

make sure that the goblin stockpiile does not accept empty cages or it wont be emptied.

All this minimizes the risks of hauling goblins as well as megabeasts etc.  it is also rather maintenance free since you only need to put in 3 caging orders at the same time about 1-2 times per season. the rest is handled automatically by the dwarves who will empty the traps, haul the goblins to the main animal stockpile, haul them to their destination, and when caged in the proper cage, empty the goblin stockpile, carry the empty cage to the main stockpile, and then reuse it in a trap.

I still have the idea of building an industrial fort with a large, mega cage trapped entrance in one end of a large "factory", where goblins are trapped and caged only to be hauled to the next "station" where they are stripped of their weapons and armor for reforging", then to the "strip mines" where dedicated dwarves strip them naked and then "processed" in some yet undetermined manner. the far end of the factory contains the depot where silk clothes and iron/steel weaponry is sold to the mountainhomes for the common dwarf "war effort".

the task contains several quite complicatd logistic problems which would have to be solved to maintain a high efficiency. Would be quite interesting to create a fluid production line.