Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Catapult Cave in Damage  (Read 1386 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Catapult Cave in Damage
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:12 pm »

Yes, Yes, Yes.

I support this.

A targeting area for catapults would also be good, as would making your siege engineers not run from enemies.

Rocks skipping along the ground would be even better, honestly.  You can choose an area ahead of them, and see the rock slice through the enemy units... Muahaha.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 08:28:50 am »

im not sure if i wanted to play scorched dwarf. personally id rather select lets say a 3x3 area (different ammo, would need to be crafted, for larger areas?) in a certain range of the catapult. also up or down some z levels.

then the game checks for a possible firing arc and sets it. maybe you could manually adjust those values to help the catapults "pathfinding" to shoot some of the weirder angles but i dont think that would be necessary.

i dont know about you but i wouldnt necessarily want to micromanage those angles, and i really like scorched earth. well, who didnt.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 06:25:23 am »

Just a note, the bowling ball catapult would ned lead to cave-ins since these would be a result of the actual arc.

setting targets for catapults is really important, and would for instance allow for having multiple catapults with multiple siege dwarves raining stone into a confined area, such as a valley leading to you fortress.

More importantly is that siegers should set up catapults and bombard your defences. is they had a chance (say 5%) to break a wall or other construction, and often cause cave ins of roofs, collapsing bridges etc I at least would build my fort differently, and I would enjoy the added task of building something which can withstand an actual bombardment.

This would add so much flavour to the game it's simply ridiculous. having built a keep several walls thick to withstand fire, and manned in smaler fortified compartments with marksdwarves while stones rain down onto the castle, eventually breaching a fortification causing death and injury at the ramparts. Then the goblins attack, using ladders they aim to enter at the breach and i evacuate the marksdwarves and send axedwarves to hold the ground against the golbin horde.
Meanwhile the stones keep on raining down on other sides of the fort, causing the bridge to collapse. But the dwarven catapults have finally started to aim in on the goblin siege engines and with a few well aimed shots the menace is taken care of. The Staunch axedwarves hold their ground and the masons effectivly repair the fort closing all the breaches and gaps. Seeing their previous advantage gone the golbins have to decice wheter to flee or continue their attack by some other means. In a moment of bravery they decide to storm the gates. They run around the castle and place a ballista in front of the main gates of the keep, blasting the heavy gates to smithereens with their iron ballista bolts they place a ladder over the moat and storm into the keep.

The marksdwarves are now in a new position and quickly kill off the goblins in a hail of steel bolts.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 09:08:04 am »

A targeting area for catapults would also be good, as would making your siege engineers not run from enemies.

Rocks skipping along the ground would be even better, honestly.  You can choose an area ahead of them, and see the rock slice through the enemy units... Muahaha.

What he said.  This idea definitely has my support.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 09:11:53 am »

Perhaps some creatures/entities could have this attack? Of course it would be more of an AoE attack and not a real cave-in simulation, but imagine how cool fighting something like this in Adventure Mode would be.

Although it should wait for the Magic Arc.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 [2]