Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moss  (Read 690 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Moss
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:36:28 pm »

What is it, and why is it on the side of my reclaimed pyramid fortress?  Is there any way to get rid of it besides destroying my ramp and rebuilding?  Does it hurt to leave it?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Moss
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 06:38:33 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Moss

And to add content to this post: Screenshot?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 06:44:59 pm »

I could have swore I looked it up on the wiki before posting... hmm.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 06:49:24 pm »

Wait, that's actually in the game? Huh. You learn something new every day.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 07:03:23 pm »

Here is a shot of it using MikeMayday's tiles:
http://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mossgw8.png

It's on the southeast slope of the exposed side of my pyramid in construction:
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pyramidqu1.png

You can only see the top half of it... the rest is underground.  I will have to dig away a large chunk of the world to see the whole thing and I have to get past the aquifer layer on the outskirts of the pyramid as well.  The Obsidian comes from the magma pipe right smack in the middle of the pyramid base.  My forges are in the center of the pyramid and the living quarters are on the very bottom level around the magma:
http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pyramidundergroundod7.png

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 07:12:28 pm »

I also notice the wiki says it's found in warm climates, but this is a freezing map.  I get about 2 months of lake thawing weather a year.  I want to update it, but I don't know what type of biome to call it.  Is there a way to see the biomes in fortress mode?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 07:16:20 pm »

Keep in mind not much is known about it. That Wiki entry probably knows as much as you do.

If only Toady could answer this one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 01:33:44 am »

Devlog notes:

09/14/2005: Added moss and weathering over time

03/04/2007: Changed how mill wheel works, handled temperature calcs for incoming caravans and armies, changed some underlying temperature basics, changed how temperature forbidden terrain works, changed how moss grows, changed how the minimap handles vegetation, changed how fields are altered on creature death

It's been in for quite a while, but nobody is sure about exactly how long it takes to grow, but it's been seen on worldgen ruins and on reclaimed forts that are 50+ years old.