Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lorbam Wailwinds, Speardwarf.  (Read 1715 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Lorbam Wailwinds, Speardwarf.
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:27 pm »

When I was a child, the world seemed to be falling apart. Elves, angered at the destruction of the forests, launched a desperate war on the Humans, who in turn pleaded to the Dwarves for assistance. The King, in his foresight, stayed neutral for the majority of the war, knowing that no matter who won, the Dwarves would be in a position of power. Seventy years of war raged across the plains and forests, destroying the Humans and Elves alike, until one day, in the siege of a Major Human city, a great rift opened in the Elve's lines, swallowing thousands in a dull red chasm, and releasing the Demons onto the world.

The Dwarves of all people knew what a full Demon assault could do to the world, the King ordered a Militarization of every able-bodied dwarf immediately when he heard the news. My father, a weaponsmith, was one of the first drafted into the war-effort. I watched him work day-in day-out on a spear, but this spear was no steel, it was Adamantine, special ordered by the King. Once my father finished the spear, he was forced into the legions. I never saw him again.

The year was 984 when the Dwarves finally managed to fight the demons back to their abyss. The king himself sealed the opening, sacrificing himself to remove the magics that held the rift open. His spear is still used as a sign of the dwarven sacrifice to save the world from demons, again.

I was Seventy, a youngling by dwarven standards, when I joined my Fortress' Guard. I became proficient with the spear, an honor in my country. I lived a peaceful life, my fort was not large enough to attract attention from the Goblins, and all we had to fend off was a wolf pack every summer or two. Until, on the 3rd of Felsite, year 1050, my journey began.

Ill write the start of the actual adventurer if interest sparks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 03:39:36 pm by Torak »
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Flar Moonchill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lorbam Wailwinds, Speardwarf.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 02:56:04 am »

Sounds good mate, I'd definitly read your adventures  :)
- If you know what I mean, and I''m sure that you do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 05:59:24 am »

Definitely sound good. I'm looking forward for your adventures! 

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:04:57 am »

I realize they're fantasy creatures and thus totally open to interpretation, but for some reason I keep linking DF to DnD, and thus think dwarves live about 120-150 years maximum...

One of these days someone will do some experiments with a super long running fort, or dig it up in a raw, or Toady will just give us information about it or make it editable or something. :D
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 06:16:45 am »

The Dwarves max age?

120:150

You could just edit it so it become 220:250, if you want 70 to be adult stage....

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 07:24:09 am »

I'll be reading!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:41:21 am »

Actually, I've always thought of dwarves living well into their 350's.
It seems more dwarfish like that to me, I don't know why.
Anyway, this looks awesome.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42:25 am »

Nice introduction  :o Like others said, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 11:17:06 am »

I will begin writing later today or tommorow, until then, don't think I have abandoned this story.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Drakolus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 04:04:06 pm »

The intro definately leaves me wanting to read more.  I look forward to the continuation of the story.
I like to mine it mine it

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:14 am »

I awoke from a night's slumber, annoyed by the fact that someone, even in the midst of night, found time to carve the world's loudest statue. I was not tired either way, and decided to take up patrol duty for the poor late-worker that has it now. I equipped my spear and armor, and went south through the main hallway. The walls were still in the process of being lined with Obsidian, to give it a more prestigious look, since noone liked the Dog-Brown color that Schist made when smoothed out. I reached my tower, about a mile south of the Living quarters, in a half hour.

The Guard Tower was an imposing structure, built by our Father's Fathers just before the great war. The tower was no less than 150 feet tall, it's walls were covered in spikes every five or so feet, and it was topped off with Eight Ballista. It's said that the Ballistas once destroyed an entire demon army from three miles away. An obvious lie, but grand stories from those times are all too common, and Un-Dwarven to dispute.

I went to open the door, readying my key. The door was unlocked, though. A major oddity, since it was The Captain's orders for the door to be locked at all times unless there was an emergency that required evacuation. Knowing this, I readied my spear and slowly opened the door. The door creaked open to reveal the entrance, nothing out of the ordinary, the banners still pinned between the bricks, showing our Symbol. There were three stairways branching out, two of them leading upstairs, to the crossbow posts the other down, to the armory and semi-Dungeon. I say semi because it was a barely finished cell with no real security. We largely ignored it, and the rats that bred there. I went upstairs, to the next room. Still, noone to be found, I was getting tense at this time, since any Night-Watchman would stay on the second floor, waiting for his replacement to show. I went up again, and again, until I reached the ballista storage room, right below the Ballista.

Upon reaching the top of those stairs, I saw a horrific site. Blood, organs, and chunks were strewn about the room, Melbil, the old veteran which took night watches all the time, was dead, pinned against the wall by a ballista arrow. It looked like a monster had skewered him onto the wall, then proceeded to rip him to pieces. I nearly gagged. Not even a Dwarf could handle this. I proceeded to try and release Melbil from the arrow, to no avail. I decided I should tell the Captain at once, right after I found who, or what, had done this.

I went up the last flight of stairs, only to see a.. A demon.. Or what seemed like one, eating the remains of what seemed like limbs. It looked at me. I still feel the horrible chill that went right to my soul when we locked eyes.

"ABOMINATION, YOUR DEATH WILL BE SLOW, FLEE TO YOUR ABYSS OR DIE ON MY SPEAR." I was no match for a demon, small as this one seemed. I charged it, holding my spear directly at it. It did not move, but met my spear with it's claws. It's hands only slid down the shaft as I ran the spear through it's body. The Demon did not die, though, oh no, it simply looked down at the spear, at me, then screeched, as if it were a banshee. It ripped itself off my spear and jumped off the edge of the tower, running into the night.

Sorry, still more prelude to actual adventure.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 03:24:32 am »

Nudging to the top.