Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flamebranded - Vikingdwarves  (Read 1689 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flamebranded - Vikingdwarves
« on: June 06, 2008, 08:49:00 pm »

I'm going to play this fortress thematically with the Viking Challenge in mind.  I probably won't stick to it perfectly, but I'll do my best.

The site should prove interesting.  In addition to a terrifying ocean in a freezing climate, there's an aquifer, lava (damn those fire giants!), and cliffs on the coast.  I wanted to get as fjord-like as possible.

I wasn't too successful in fjord-like coasts, although there are some impressive cliffs.  Nothing more than a 1-z level drop straight to water.  A short distance from the water is a 4-z-level cliff.

Kib Dodokromek: "May these sea-blasted cliffs be our home, that we may pillage the coastal villages all through the Brutal Gulf.  Our first order of business will be a longhouse for us to sleep in.  I will also begin drawing up plans for a great mead-hall.  We will make this a place to remember, and earn the praise of the Allfather!"

*Dwarves cheer*

Asmel Alathnosing came to me and pointed out something out to sea.  "It's a sea serpent, milord.  An exceptionally dangerous beast.  Fishing here will not be easy."

I saw it.  Worse, I saw the gulls picking the dead flesh off its hide as it attacked a school of anchovies.  "Asmel, you truly have a task ahead of you.  A test of your prowess!  For, that is no mere sea serpent.  It's one of the living dead.  A *real* monster of the waves."  I clapped him on the back and was ashamed to see a slight hint of fear in his face before he accepted the task.

The sea here rages in ways unlike I've ever seen before.  The spray reaches the very tops of the cliffs.  Conquering this place will be a mighty endeavor.  May all the gods bless our efforts.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flamebranded - Vikingdwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 09:25:00 pm »

Saga of Kib Dodokromek

My divinations tell me that the summer has arrived.  But, I look around in a blizzard to the frozen blocks of ice that riddle the land.  I will be amazed if they thaw at any time without application of fire.

There are more undead monstrosities in the ocean.  Asmel is dutifully fishing, though.  This is good.  Our food stocks are running somewhat low already.  I hope the farming works out well.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Merchants?  Ah, so our status as outcasts from our previous home does not dissuade anyone from trying to profit off of us.  Very well.  We will accept their business and will make hard deals.  We will let our past grudges linger, sating them by drawing more dwarves with our wealth.  What?  We haven't got anything to trade?!  Well, hurry up and make something!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

Good luck! I am curious to see how this turns out! What are the Viking Challenge Rules?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

The Viking Challenge rules

Yeah not much else to say...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:12:00 am »

Yes it does.

Tee hee hee.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

The merchants brought a very shady looking individual who wished to discuss further trading next year.  I demanded that he and his leaders pay a tribute to me of cows and lumber (oh god, need more lumber!), which he wrote down dutifully.  Then, somehow, he requested some goods in exchange for my demands!  Eventually we will be strong enough to simply slay these impudent fools, but for now we must allow them to proceed with their mercantilism.  For some reason, the dwarves from the mountains wish for amulets and ammunition.  What strange people...

I should remember in the future to see if I can demand specifically for ash logs.  The Allfather's shrine must be made of the holy wood.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

Some racoons decided to try to sneak into the camp to take off with something shiny.  The woodcutter claimed one and I strangled the other three to death.  They will go well on the dinner plate.  It's much more fulfilling to eat what one's own hands have claimed.