Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: A New Project  (Read 2190 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: A New Project
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

Try it sometime.  I've got frostlings with a layering value of 300, and they think frozen tundras feel "cool".  Take a layering:400 Jötun out there, and he'll think it's pleasantly warm, if not a bit hot.  Move him to the temperate cold forest at the base of the mountains, and he'll be scorching.

I can't think of any other temp-related tag that differs between them.  Layering must be what causes it.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »

While the "check temperature" action in adventure mode may yield those results, that doesn't necessarily mean they'll overheat due to their layering.  Bump their layering up to 2000 or so and see if they die of heat stroke after wandering around for a while.  That'll give a definite answer.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »

The thing is, they seem to select where they settle based on that tag.  Every world I've generated so far, they cram themselves into the coldest possible corner of a glacier.  This, of course, sticks them in an area very far away from other civs.  I'll give the overheating a shot, though.

Getting very annoyed with these nuisance races.  I can't seem to figure out a good way of implementing them.  I'd give them all the "ruin" citytype, as it shows up on the map and the nearby civ list, it's not a very obnoxious symbol (like the elven retreats), and it doesn't have any features (such as named trees...  Still can't explain away why bandits would have pet trees).  

Even the name works, somewhat.  "Bandit ruins", "Native ruins", "Vampiric ruins"...  And whoever else I can cram onto the [NUISANCE] list.

However, that's no longer that easy of an option, as I've just added a race of flying humanoids, who are supposed to be the remnants of a once-great empire, but who now live in the ruins of their previous glory.  I never fail to find ways of screwing myself.

Added desert-dwelling cat people who revel in combat, and thus have an extra point of DAMBLOCK.  They're also supposed to have a weapon that is used with wrestling, but I'm not sure if it's appearing properly.  Trolls have yet to make it in, but they're coming.  Unless I think of something better...

By the way, does anyone know if getting bitten by a vermin generates an unhappy though, or simply injects the vermin's venom?  If it's just an unhappy thought, I can take away mosquito venom.  Also, an attack doesn't have to latch on for bloodsucking to take effect, does it?  I'm having a hard time seeing giant mosquitoes "shaking you about by your X! A chunk is torn away!".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 04:04:00 am »

Hrmph.  I'm having a hard time coming up with a good itemcorpse for my shrubmen.  Whenever I try to make them drop an edible tuber (their core bodypart), it just spawns a rat weed instead.  Not quite what I was hoping for.

And the recent attempt to make them drop shrubman leaves was a disaster.  They dropped " leaves", which blacked out the tile they were on.  I've really gotta figure out the item references.

Hunting woodspiders and black wolf packs added to evil forests.  Woodspiders are slightly smaller versions of the giant spiders we all know and love, but without the webbing.  They'll show up on the map from time to time, and may even ambush adventurers (I'm not sure).

Just occured to me that I should add in an 8EYES body tag, to "fix" the spider-type creatures.  Doing that now.

What I really need, of course, is motivation.  I'm not really feeling as gung-ho about this project as I was before, and that's having an effect on how much time I spend working on it.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

What you have so far sounds pretty great, however. I especially like the tundra civilizations. Although I'm sure this project would murder my computer in a normal sized world. =)

The heart of a vampire would now sprout ears, eyes, a nose, throat and neckbone, as well as a mouth from which to bite. Teensy bit of cleaning up needed, as that image was just a bit too creepy for my liking. Maybe I'll use it on some other critter later on.

The heart of a vampire must look something like this:

I believe I am going to have nightmares.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

Actually, since each entity only has one civ each, it actually falls below the native number of civs, and the world generates faster.  Quite nice, actually.

The only problem is that pocket worlds get fed up with so many civs, and so quite a few get left out.  Also, you may end up with one race isolated on some island or behind a mountain range somewhere because they decided they just had to start their empire away from everyone else.  This can be good or bad, depending.

I need more sieger civs...  Lots of 'em.  Trolls will be a nice addition with their clubs, but I still need more...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 01:03:00 am »

Grr...   These blasted plant-people are getting on my nerves.  I can't work out the damned itemcorpse arguments!

I'm trying to make ents drop ent wood logs, and make shrubmen drop shrubman tubers (edible).  Seems perfectly reasonable, right?  Well, shrubmen do indeed turn into plants when they die.  Rat weeds.

Every single time, regardless of what I do, it's that damn rat weed staring back at me.  I apparently have no idea how to point it to the custom shrubman tuber plant I've created.

I'm holding off on setting up ent corpses, because I'd have to work with the racegloss as well, and who knows how much trouble I can get into with that.

I may end up removing ents and shrubmen entirely until I can figure out how to work with the damn things.  Maybe woodpixies would serve in the place of ents?

I've added trolls, and I'm going to test them out in a little bit to see how they run.  I might slow them down a little bit, but I think they should be alright as it is.  They're big, tough, and carry massive wooden clubs to smack people around with.  However, they don't have shields or armor beyond leather.  They have a natural DAMBLOCK of three to make up for this.

Currently, not a single one of the main sieger civs will be stopped by a locked door.  Some pick the lock or have trained creatures to smash down the doors, others do the smashing themselves.  The more powerful siegers will come less often, but you'll get a run for your money each time.  Trolls will come in autumn and winter, Giants will come only in winter (this may interfere with Frostling trading times, so some tweaking may be required).

All main races are available in adventure mode, and I intend to keep that habit.  I'll have to add a citydwelling evil civ to provide some merchants willing to sell to dark creatures.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 02:41:00 am »

Well shoot.  Toady apparently put in a functionality to reduce the numbers of entities with the variable world size release, so that worldgen wouldn't try to cram in every single dwarf, human and elf in, say, a pocket world.

This has the unfortunate side effect of trimming off about half the custom entites I've created for anything less than a full-sized world.  And even then, it cuts out quite a few.

In the older version, it would insist on spewing every single entity into the world, which was great for this mod.   Now, I've tried generating worlds of varying sizes for about seven to ten worlds now, and dwarves have appeared in three of them.

This mod can't work with that kind of limitation, and I don't know how to get around it.  I've tried lowering the populations of each entity, so that they wouldn't "crowd each other out", but that didn't work.  Unless I can find some way around this, it ain't gonna work.

I've had an idea for another mod for some time now, in which I'd be working to simplify as much of the game as possible.  No more huge pockets of useless colored stone (I am on a crusade against microcline and its minions, orthoclase and alunite), no more staggering amount of gems or obscure metal alloys, no more hundreds of different tree types.  You get granite (I like the sound of "granite".  So there.), oak (unless I can get it to work with a simple "wood" or "tree"), and some basic metals.  Granite will have magnetite-sized pockets of limestone that may or may not be filled with water.  Metals will be Gold, silver, copper, and iron.  Steel will be the only alloy, unless I decide to add tin which may or may not happen.  Soils layers will be dirt and sand.  No silty clay loam for me, thank you.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

I know that this topic is a bit old and you may not be able to answer my question but how did you get the Stygians to rip things apart on impulse? oh and what about the rock moss what was the code on that?
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:00 am »

I have some modded pets (I call them...  battletoads  :D ) that attack wild animals and hostiles on sight.  I think it's the LARGE_PREDATOR tag that does it, but they're also RECKLESS and LIKES_FIGHTING, so I'm not entirely sure.  Regardless, it gets the job done.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 07:19:00 am »

Err, yes, this thread is a bit old, and the mod it was based on has been cancelled.

However, I've still got the code lying around.  Stygians have [RECKLESS], [LIKES_FIGHTING], [NOTHOUGHT], [NOEMOTION], and they lacked the [BENIGN] tag.  I don't think that [NOTHOUGHT] or [NOEMOTION] actually have anthing to do with it, but I may as well list them.  Also, they did not have the [LARGE_PREDATOR] tag.

As for rock moss, here:

code:

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:MOSS_ROCK]
[TILE:247][COLOR:2:0:0]
[NAME:rock moss][NAME_PLURAL:rock moss]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[GROWDUR:150][VALUE:1]
[GENPOWER:1]
[DRINK:rockspit:0:0:1]
[DRINKVALUE:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[PREFSTRING:fuzz]
[SEED:0:0:1]

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Alright lads, I've got an idea for a mod, but I'm going to need some help getting it set up (mainly, I'm going to need people nagging me to work on it).

I'm pretty new to this, so I'll be asking a lot of questions about various tags and such.  Also, I'll be asking for creature ideas and name suggestions.

Here's the overview:

There will be extensive work done with the civilizations in the game.  First off I'll just be swapping out one entity for another, but I'll want to add more in later.  Eventually, I want a setting with numerous races of a particular class, so that depending on where you settle, you may have contact with some and not others.  Adds a little variety.

First in line for new races:  
Lizardmen. These will be the fort mode civ, at least early on.

Frostlings. These will replace dwarves for now.  Lives in towns on tundra, glacier, and taiga biomes.  Resistant to cold.  Bonus points if you know where I'm stealing these guys from.

Stygians.  These may become a fortable race later on, if it's possible to have more than one without complications.  They are, essentially, undead.  Massive constructions have never been so easy, but you can forget about having them heal a broken limb.  I suppose that's easier, since they'll just pick up and move on instead of sitting in a bed for the rest of their lives.  I'm not sure what complications may arise from having a creature with both the [INTELLIGENT] and [NO_THOUGHT] tags.

New creatures will have to be added as well.  Tameable frost wolves for Frostlings, Giant Turtles for Lizardmen, and perhaps bone hounds for Stygians, unless I can think of some other suitable evil critter.

These are just some of the ideas in this mod.  I'm open to suggestions, but that doesn't mean I'll take all of them.   Or any of them, for that matter.

I'll give thanks and credits to the people who help me out in this process.  If anyone wants to help with the actual modding, I can use all the help I can get.

Toodles,
--Kagus.</STRONG>

Frostlings are from Age of Wonders. Looks like a fun mod hehe.

Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:
Pages: 1 2 [3]