Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damn Greedy Merchants!  (Read 565 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Damn Greedy Merchants!
« on: February 26, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

When did this happen?  I remember it used to be that you could get away with a even deal with these guys.  Now you have to give them hundreds of monies worth of profits before they'll trade with you, and if you don't offer them enough quickly enough they get all elfy, even if they're dwarves.

Oops, wrong forum...  Well, anyone got any ideas if merchant greediness is moddable?

[ February 26, 2008: Message edited by: Ioric Kittencuddler ]

Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn Greedy Merchants!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

Trading prices probably depend on your trader's skills.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »

No sorry, merchants are greedy now and can't be changed. However there are many ways to get around this. Decorate arrows or bolts. That will buy out large caravans. When the merchants show up edit the material value of stone to something high. This will make your crappy stone mugs and crafts worth lots. Then change it back afterwards.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

I think it's better now. It makes more sense than being able to buy out an entire caravan in your first year. At least now you have to work for the things you want. I like going through the trading screen and having to consider how much to sacrifice for that awesome tame elephant.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 03:01:00 pm »

What? Greedy?

They truck a whole load of goods all the way to your fort and you expect them to be happy with breaking even? they are traders not donation wagons. It makes perfect sense that they want to make some profit, that's the whole point of being a trader!

If you have a very high level negotiator they don't even make that much profit, anyway. I can usually get ~5% and I've heard with very high skill levels you can get away with as low as 1% profit.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

Rather than having to guess at the required profit margin for a successful trade, I'd rather they visibly modify their prices.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

SO what if they are greedy?

Corpses don't need a profit *wink wink nudge nudge*

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

I recently had the dwarven caravan visit my Norse-dwarf fortress, and they said that next time they come around, they'd be willing to pay double for prepared meals.

Hot damn.