Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Swarm  (Read 946 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Dwarf Swarm
« on: February 13, 2008, 01:19:00 am »

Here's a mod idea for all those who like building giant tomb complexes but don't like fancy-pants economy and having Masterwork spam.

I'm thinking an insect race with a lifespan of 2-4 years, a 6 mo. childhood, and whatever the multiple birth tag is for starters. Also should be included: personality changes, no need for alchohol, smaller size than dwarves and no damage block...

And whatever else comes to mind. The biggest drawback of these guys is more subtle than a tag, however. Since they die very, very fast, they have almost no natural Legendaries other than the normal abilities. By making them extremely weak and frail, I can keep them balanced while increasing the speed a few dozen points. Thus, I can create a race that is just as challenging to play as as the dwarves, but in different ways, and in particular, allowing for especially complex Adv. mode dungeons.

I would like to know what the best tags to use for this are, and if any body's tried this before.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Swarm
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

I just make my dwarfs immortal when I build my death zones. Then I change them back.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 02:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keilden:
<STRONG>I just make my dwarfs immortal when I build my death zones. Then I change them back.</STRONG>

I know what you mean. For a couple months, all my fortresses where inhabited by SPEED:1 dwarves. What I am planning is more of a compromise that means that I can focus of building, without feeling like I'm cheating a lot.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 04:35:00 am »

:roll: Cheating? Me nahhh
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:15:00 am »

You're mod wont happen.

Dwarves can be born as children which take a year to mature at the fastest, and they can only have up to 10 babies at a time, and only immigrants can do that.

I'm making a mod like yours, and I found all that out the hard way.

Just use my mod, if I get around to uploading it (sorry if I sound like I'm trying to steal the crowd, just don't want you to work a bunch when I have basically what you are looking for).

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

Sure, I would like to see what you have. Part of the mod is a new, but balanced system.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 05:33:00 pm »

Once dwarves marry then you can do this because you could have generations. Currently, if your immigrants stopped for any reason then your fort would die within four years.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>Sure, I would like to see what you have. Part of the mod is a new, but balanced system.</STRONG>

The big difference between your mod and mine is that mine is meant to be more of a mass violence/screw around mod, so it isn't all that balanced. The only thing stopping my uber dwarves from taking over everything is lots of violent creatures that kill everything. Still, I'll upload it when I get it working. PM me, and I will send you a link when it's done. (I can't get my velociraptors to spawn in groups of 50, or at all )  :mad:

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

Doesn't sound so bad to me, as long as the immigrants keep coming.  Do want!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!