Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 707 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

I am having trouble making a "good" entity worship a "good" creature. Both creatures have the "good" token. The creature has spheres matching the the entities spheres. The creature has the [power] token. The entity has the worship appropriate power token. The creature is also immortal.

Is there something I'm missing? I haven't been able to get them to worship anyone.

Another question I have is about ruins. Has anyone been able to get an entity that likes to settle in ruins to work? I made an entity that wants to settle in ruins, the ruins show up on the map, but when I travel there in adventure mode there is nothing there. When I changed the entity to like dark fortresses everything was ok again.

Last question I have is about caves. In the worlds I generate the caves I visit aren't heavily populated. I thought perhaps that by adding cave creatures I had mucked up the population of caves. So I tried generating a world in an unmodded game and I found that I had the same problem. Caves seem to have few creatures, and there are usually very few creature types. I recall in previous versions having lots of different kinds of creatures in caves. Has anyone have trouble with this?

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

Make sure the entity has high values in SPHERE_ALIGNMENT tokens for the proper spheres.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Zaratustra ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>Make sure the entity has high values in SPHERE_ALIGNMENT tokens for the proper spheres.</STRONG>

I have the matching alignments set at 512. I'm not sure what the problem is.

[ March 08, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

Has anyone successfully added a good entity that worships a good creature?

I would love to take a look at your work if you have, maybe then I could figure out what I'm missing.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 09:40:00 am »

Ask Sean Mirrsen, he's been working with sphere tags for a while, and has a GOOD race worshiping GOOD creatures.

And also ask whoever made that prehistoria mod...  Can't remember who it was, but he had been working with multiple "neutral" races, each with differing sphere tags, and thus worshiping different god types.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

Thanks for the help, Kagus and Zara.  :)

Well, I found out what my problem was.

It turned out being something that I didn't expect. After many hours of trial and error I found out what my problem was...

I needed to add [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS]

Why? Because the creature I wanted them to worship was [GOOD]!

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

Well playing around a bit I think Ive found a bug, but I don't want to put it in the bug forum until I'm sure it's not a mistake on my part.

For an entity to worship a good creature they require the [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS] token.

I assume it is the same for evil entities (haven't tested it) with [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS]

I'm not sure if it is possible to worship a creature that is not good or evil. Perhaps if you gave the creature the common domestic token, but that would be strange because than you could bring your god's species as your pet   :D

Has anyone else had a different experience?

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 06:56:00 pm »

That sounds like a bug, all right.

You -can- have entities worship unaligned powers if they're themselves unaligned (see the Formics in my Mod Salad)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 07:47:00 am »

Thanks Zara.

I've played around with it more and I am stumped.

I added any appropriate power to elves, and removed use good animals. They worshipped just fine.

I removed use evil animals from goblins and they had no problem finding someone to worship.

I remove use good animals from my skevyren race and they do not worship anything.

Obviously I am making a mistake somewhere.   :)

[ March 11, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

First it looks for a good/evil match, then it looks for a sphere match, but regardless of the good/evil settings, a sphere on a creature and in the entity should make that creature an appropriate power candidate.  However, it isn't SPHERE_ALIGNMENT you want, but [RELIGION_SPHERE:<sphere>].
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

Thank you! You are a gentleman and a scholar   :D

I knew it was probably some little token mix up somewhere causing me all that trouble.

The odd part is, however, that my race was good, and so was the creature. Yet they would only worship them if they had the USE_GOOD_ANIMALS token. It's very likely I made another mistake somewhere that causes it, since it isn't the case with other good creatures (as mentioned above). It's just interesting that the USE_GOOD_ANIMALS tokens has an effect, since it is the only variable I used to get the entity to finally start worshipping!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:00 pm »

Yeah, that's what it uses, since that's the only good/evil indicator on the entity if I remember.  It doesn't look at the entity race tokens, just the race of the creature being worshipped.  Arguably, it could look at the entity race, but it should probably be a separate token completely.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!