Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating oil  (Read 734 times)

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating oil
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:28:00 am »

Would it be possible to make a soil/rock that would show up in pockets with a melting point that would keep it a liquid at room temp. Also can you set it to be combustible?

Fenrir

Re: Creating oil
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:25:00 am »

You could probably do this with a mineral, but not a whole soil layer.
code:
[MATGLOSS_STONE:OIL]
[NAME:oil][COLOR:0:0:0][TILE:15]
[ENVIRONMENT:SEDIMENTARY:VEIN:100]
[ITEM_SYMBOL:15]
[SPEC_HEAT:409]
[IGNITE_POINT:11440]
[MELTING_POINT:10001]
[BOILING_POINT:16708]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1346]

I copied and modified the entry for coal. I added a melting point that makes the oil a liquid above the freezing point of water (yes, oil freezes at a different temperature, but I didn't feel like doing the research). Test it out and let me know if it works.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

I think you'll just end up with a few puddles that will quickly be cleaned up by your dwarves.  You can't turn it into an actual water-like reservoir.

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:28:00 am »

thanks i'll try it out. Will the oil catch on fire if it comes in contact with something like magma? Basically i'm trying to come up with a new defense mechanism.
Well either defense or a really cool way to burn down my fort..... only one way to find out. Maybe i'll just create hairless dwarves?

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Addled ]

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:00 am »

It uses coal's ignite point, so it will burn when in comes in contact with magma, but Kagus is probably right.

I wonder if temperature tags work on stone layers. If it does, that holds the potential for epicness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

Look at an idea brought up in the "Supermetal" thread in this forum.  I think I may have struck on something.

And yes, temp tags work on stone layers.   I know this for a fact, as it came up when I was making the Simplicity mod.

Addled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

What should i look for in a starting point to find the oil?

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Addled:
<STRONG>What should i look for in a starting point to find the oil?</STRONG>
Look for a sedimentary stone layer. http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net  has more information on stone layers.

You could just put the temperature tags from the oil in a layer, then find that layer. Remember to generate a new world.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

Dammit, hold the phone.  I might have been wrong about layer being affected by temperatures.

Shoot, I'm going to have to run some tests.  I'll be back here in a bit.

UPDATE:  They work.  *Phew*

However, they don't appear to affect stone in its unmined form, only the rocks that are left behind from digging it out.  I'm going to try and route some magma to a coal vein, so I can see what happens.  If the vein itself actually ignites, then I'll need to do some more work until I can figure out how to make other stone types do the same thing.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]