Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Challenges for small forts  (Read 1021 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Challenges for small forts
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

My computer tops out at around 50 dwarves. That is, it handles a 100 dwarf fort, but I get bored waiting for things to happen, and 50 is about the biggest I like to go. Unfortunately, this means I don't get to experience anything more challenging than kobolds. I've done all the location based challenges - goblin towns, glaciers, caves. I've done all the starting challenges - hermit, village idiots, ect. So now I'm looking to beef up the challenge a "normal" fortress generates.

I don't just want to change existing creatures (weaken my dwarves, or pump up everything else). But I had this idea, and I came here to test if it's possible and to get some advice on how to proceed:

Would it be possible to make other types of creatures that use the "thieves" model, that is, they attack your fortress in small numbers at periodic intervals? If so, could I make "thieves" that are actually big, tough, dangerous enemies, but ones that aren't invisible? I don't care if they still pick locked doors and stuff, that doesn't have to change (I imagine a creature big enough to break locks off doors, but not as big as a troll to just break down the door.). I just want my fort to get occasional tough challenge.

Wish list, in order of importance (stuff at the bottom is "if possible, would be nice"):
1) Creature arrives in small numbers and tries to steal objects of value, using the same behavior as the kobold thieves.
1a) Almost forgot! I don't want to replace kobolds- I want to add another thief.
2) Creature is ~ equal to a trained military dwarf in combat potential.
3) Creature shows up in a group when the same conditions are met that would cause kobolds to send bowmen.
4) Creature is mostly identical to thieves in behavior - passing locked doors, ect. BUT is not by default hidden
5) I may be really dreaming here, but I would love it if I could make them trap-vulnerable instead of trap-immune, and pump up their health to compensate.

Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice. I hope this results in an interesting mod that allows those of us with low end machines some interesting fortress defense scenarios.

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: Erom ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Challenges for small forts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

You could make a creature that arrives periodically in groups to steal items [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] would make them do that. I'm not sure if you can make them want to fight your dwarves. [RECKLESS] and [LIKES_FIGHTING] might help, but that's just a guess. They can definately be trap vulnerable and pick locks, [LOCKPICKER]

They won't arrive in ambush groups, though. They will also be unarmed and unclothed.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

I'm assuming I don't need to make them fight my dwarves - I'll make them like kobolds (but a bit slower) so that they try to run when confronted, and I assume my military/dogs will attack them, and they will fight back.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

code:
 [CREATURE:MONKEY_DEMONIC]
   [NAME:demonic monkey:demonic monkies:demonic monkey]
   [TILE:'m'][COLOR:4:0:0]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:10]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:20:50]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:5:10]
   [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM][MISCHIEVIOUS]
   [PETVALUE:400]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:0][PET_EXOTIC]
   [PREFSTRING:cute fluffy tails]
   [CANOPENDOORS][LOCKPICKER]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED:2WINGS:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH:2HEAD_HORN]
   [SIZE:6]
   [MAXAGE:80:130]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LHORN:gore:gores:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:RHORN:gore:gores:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:4:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:3]
   [DAMBLOCK:3]
   [FAT:2]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [BIOME_ANY_LAND]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10069]
   [LAYERING:400]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

Here's an example of something that might work

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Ahahaha! Winged monkeys, that's awesome! I'll use that as a starting place - thanks so much for the help!

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

Wondering- do I have to use the

[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:10]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:20:50]

block, which I assume will cause them to spawn like animals (which is not exactly what I wanted, but should work) or is there a way to spawn them like kobolds, where they deliberately target the fortress for infiltration rather than just wandering around and stealing things if they find them?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 06:32:00 pm »

You'd have to make them a civ for that.

And you'll get sieges if you make enough stuff.

turboburrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:00 pm »

Add no fear so they don't run away when they see your dwarves. I just use the feral goblins from teldin's mod as an example for raiding animals.  They're supposed to be like wild roaming goblins that come and attack you.
You can give damblock and high attack to simulate armor and weapons, but they won't drop any items.

code:

[CREATURE:FERAL_GOBLIN]
   [NAME:feral goblin:feral goblins:goblin]
   [TILE:'g'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [GLOWTILE:'"'][GLOWCOLOR:4:0:1]
   [GENPOWER:2][SPEED:1100][FREQUENCY:90]
   [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD]
   [LIKES_FIGHTING]
   [BONECARN][CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM][NOFEAR][RECKLESS]
   [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [PREFSTRING:gibbering]
   [PREFSTRING:wildness]
   [PREFSTRING:fearsome howling]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:claw:claws:1:3:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:4:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
   [SIZE:5][DAMBLOCK:-2]
   [FAT:1]
   [EQUIPS]
   [DIURNAL][NOCTURNAL]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:500:700]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:10][MAXAGE:20:30]
   [BIOME_ANY_LAND]
   [SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [PERSONALITY:ANGER:100:100:100]
   [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:0:60:100]
   [PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:0:40:90]
   [PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:25:50]
   [PERSONALITY:MODESTY:0:40:90]
   [PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:25:50]  

The only thing you wouldn't be able to add in this way is thieves.  If you want thieves you'll need to make another civilization.  I'm not sure what makes a civilization have thieves.  Maybe its the [NUISANCE] tag for kobolds and the [BABYSNATCHER] tag for goblins.

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: turboburrito ]

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 01:50:00 am »

Or do as me...I am going to start a dwarf pirate fort :) That is building it on the ocean. Well I got to have it connected to a beach atleast :)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 11:53:00 am »

Well, I went the route of the tougher wandering pack animals like you guys suggested, but it looks like the next version will have a _lot_ of new improvements in terms of civilization modability, so we should be able to make super-kobolds a lot more precisely then. And also new traders, ect. Should be fun.

Thanks for all the help, guys