Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The movies and what's changed  (Read 889 times)

Gezol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The movies and what's changed
« on: August 09, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »

So when my birthday comes and I finally get to play this game, I'm probably going to start out in dwarf mode. My plan for the first fortress involves mostly doing the same things the dwarves did in the movies, since they seemed to be pretty successful there.

Of course, a lot of things have changed since those were made, and so I was wondering if that would still work. For example, with all the stuff I'm reading about wild animal attacks, it sounds like having just one crossbow-wielding dwarf might not be enough for fortress defense. (though it also sounds like that's going to be toned down in future releases, which I think is good. The amount of animal trouble in the movies felt like just about the right amount.)

So, basically what I'm asking is how well trying to imitate the movies would work in the current version, and if there's anything in particular that I should watch out for or do differently.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: The movies and what's changed
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:47:00 pm »

Other people can probably answer this better, but it's... about the same, though the animal attacks and civil war are bugs and various crashes and bad stuff bad.  New stuff like the woodcutter axe use handles itself more or less, if you do play now, though that could be my jaded vet perspective.  The work shops are roughly the same, though the interface keys are green now.  But same rough idea pretty much.  Maybe I'll be able to get up a less death-ful version by then.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The movies and what's changed
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:16:00 pm »

I recently started a new fortress on a 'calm' map (I think I was in the wilderness before, actually), and it does seem to make a big difference, at least this time.  It could just be a coincidence, though.

Another thing you can do to reduce the pain of animal attacks is to move as much as possible indoors.  Even if you place workshops and storehouses in little 'side-rooms' rather than in your main fortress, this will greatly decrease the chance that animals will wander in and disrupt much of your functioning.  They might still harass your outdoors fisherdwarves, hunters, woodcutters, and gatherers, but the pain will be greatly reduced from, say, having your carpenter constantly getting chased away from whatever he's working on by a raccoon.  Just make sure your rubbish heap is outside.  Oh, and get a well, of course, so your dwarves don't have to wander out to drink from the river.

I mean, what are dwarves doing aboveground anyway?

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One