Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wiles' mod - Updated, Mar 11, 08  (Read 2695 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Wiles' mod - Updated, Mar 11, 08
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

Yeah, I was overjoyed at first to learn that my spidersilk could be used to make barrels and bins, since I'm on a mountainous, terrifying area who abhors trade.

Then I noticed it takes 10 silk to make one wafer and I need 3 wafers to make a barrel.

Oh... how dreams are crushed.

But yeah, really loving it. I'm hoping one of those Monkeylord megabeasts will come kick my ass.

Monkeylord

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:25:00 pm »

You're mistaking wafers with bars.  It takes three bars for one barrel.  It takes nine wafers for one barrel.  Adamantine is the only vanilla metal that uses wafers.  It's laborious enough gathering 30 webs for one barrel.  90 per barrel would be insane.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Well, yeah. I know that much.

I didn't call them bars because... well... what the hell is a bar of silk? So I just used the next closest term.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

Hey Wiles, I noticed some of your animals, when they appear on screen, are invisible.

i.e: everything about them is black in colour. I can see their names in the unit list when I highlight them, but other than that, there would be no way to tell what they are.

It's even worse on the map when you can't see them there. Only a black square. Which camouflages so well.

Examples include condor and pandas.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 07:48:00 am »

Thanks, I just noticed that myself.

Everything that is made out of them is completely black too. It's on the list of things to be changed next release.  :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

NECROPOWA!

Hey Wiles, I just wanted give some feedback based on an extended game.

So, it's been 8 years since this world was released from the clutches of worldgen and some seriously weird stuff has happened. Basically, the world was created with only humans, centaurs, brownies, gnomes, and kobolds with the centaurs controlling all the Eastern peaks (as is fitting, since they resemble Ghenghis Khan), human controlling the midlands, gnomes a small little place in the south, and brownies by the ocean.

Here are some of the stranger tales:
1. Are centaurs an evil race? I noticed that for some reason or another, bands of centaur guards led by my ex-superlegendary adventurer would roam out of the centaur capital and lay waste to entire cities before returning home. This isn't really good for the humans, since humans are so much smaller, only use iron, and aren't composed of four legs and huge muscles. So now, humans are something of an endangered species, with only one town left far, far away. Intentional?

2. The human capital of Foldedspeechless is something of a contested hotbed of warfare with gnomes and humans allied against the centaurs. Basically, the entire city is controlled by centaurs except for the keep, which is kept by the gnomes and whatever human remnants are left. Then I noticed that a large number of the civilians have armed themselves with fallen weapons (o.O), becoming quite a fearsome force. The hell?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 09:11:00 pm »

Have you actually seen centaurs fighting humans?

I find it very interesting that this is happening. I haven't played a game as long 8 years. I think the fortress I tested was only 4 years old before I started working on the mod again.

It's not intentional, and the only thing I can think of that would make them do that is that the humans and centaur both prefer cities.

Thank you for the feedback, Uniman. I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to work out a few kinks before I release the next version. I was thinking about switching the brownie race out for another, and adding two more entities.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 10:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>Have you actually seen centaurs fighting humans?

I find it very interesting that this is happening. I haven't played a game as long 8 years. I think the fortress I tested was only 4 years old before I started working on the mod again.

It's not intentional, and the only thing I can think of that would make them do that is that the humans and centaur both prefer cities.

Thank you for the feedback, Uniman. I really appreciate it.

I'm trying to work out a few kinks before I release the next version. I was thinking about switching the brownie race out for another, and adding two more entities.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]</STRONG>

Yar. I follow the marauders around and watch them slaughter anyone that doesn't have four legs. And you can also tell because when you watch the migrant lines coming from the centaurs reach a human city, suddenly the human city downgrades and lots of human migrants leave.

And then there's the Old One. That guy is super overpowered man.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 02:32:00 am »

Did you have an old one attack in fortress mode? How did you fare against it?

I wanted it to be one of the more challenging megabeasts. I don't' want the megabeasts to be impossibly hard, though. The only megabeast I've had show up so far was the tarrasque, and he didn't seem too hard to fend off.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:40:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>Did you have an old one attack in fortress mode? How did you fare against it?

I wanted it to be one of the more challenging megabeasts. I don't' want the megabeasts to be impossibly hard, though. The only megabeast I've had show up so far was the tarrasque, and he didn't seem too hard to fend off.</STRONG>

No no. I've never had a megabeast attack my fortresses. Ever. In my years of playing this game  :(

I was running around with a super legendary centaur (legendary shield, armour, thrower, wrestler, spear) and ran out of humies to kill, so I took to talking to the local mayors so they could point me in the right direction. The quest I got was to kill an Old One. I figured it would be a hermit or something, so off I went with a drunk to go kill the Old One. Then the drunk gets torn to pieces and we face off.

And it's a stalemate. He can't hit me and I can't do any damage to him. We're just bonking each other until he passes out of exhaustion and I strangle him to death. I couldn't wrestle him earlier because I couldn't touch him. Everything I threw at him (steel javelins, steel bolts, the drunk's bodyparts, ice) just bounced off.

A monster that takes no damage against a legendary^5 military centaur wearing masterpiece gear? That's really scary if it came for you in fortress mode. Even bronze colossi die in one hit to legendary axedwarves.

Though I don't think you should change it.... the challenge would be exciting!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 02:58:00 am »

You mentioned you were killing humans. Perhaps when you retired your centaur he became some sort of leader, and since he is hostile with the humans the other centaur followed him on his quest of human genocide   :D

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 03:08:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>You mentioned you were killing humans. Perhaps when you retired your centaur he became some sort of leader, and since he is hostile with the humans the other centaur followed him on his quest of human genocide    :D</STRONG>
That's what I'm curious about. See, he doesn't appear on the leader list when I play fortress mode. But when I'm an adventurer, he gives me quests (mostly to kill gnomes and my past adventurers).

Oh well, it adds a lot of flavour and it's real cool to think that I'm but a cog in a huge war between factions led by my past super adventurers.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

Mod updated today - see first post.   :)
Pages: 1 [2]