Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a limit to civs?  (Read 1423 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there a limit to civs?
« on: January 06, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble adding civs to the game. I have had 8 different entities work fine(5 default, 3 added), but once I tried to get to 9 weird things started happening. All of the sudden skunks became playable (which are vermin and are not referenced anywhere in the entity files).

If it's not a limit to how many entities, is there a limit to how many raw files you can add? I currently have custom 22 raw files.

[ January 06, 2008: Message edited by: Wiles ]

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a limit to civs?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

I'm not entirely positive it's the extra entity causing the problem anymore. I tried removing them but it didn't work. I have all sorts of weird glitches. Skunks in fortress mode, playable turtles in adventure mode. Characters wearing moose silk clothes...

Everything was working normally up until I finished adding everything together. I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

It could be any number of things, but when you added things together, did you change any of the filenames?  Any old filenames you used will stick around in data/objects, and that can do all sorts of things.  It's probably something else, but you can try clearing out the data/objects folder and remaking the world.

[ January 06, 2008: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 11:47:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply  :)

I install a fresh copy of Dwarf Fortress and reboot when I add to the mod. I've tested it along the way and it's worked up until now. I currently have over 100 creatures added. It seems like the game is looking for things in the wrong place. Entities are using the wrong creatures. I never touched the default raws, but the default races are being replaced by random creatures.

At first I thought the game didn't like how much I added, but now I'm guessing there's one typo or something in one of those 22 raws that's making everything go wacky.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:00 am »

Maybe you have a duplicate creature somewhere?  Thats all I can think of.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

That was it!

I went through the text files again and found a duplicate. I missed it the first few times I went over it. I had used a jackal as a template for a hyena and had forgotten to change the [CREATURE:JACKAL] to [CREATURE:HYENA]. I have been watching the error logs on world gen, but I didn't realize that if there is a duplicate it won't show the error until you try to start a new game.

I did most of my work (and reviewing of it) in the wee hours of the morning. I guess it's not so surprising that I made some mistakes. It's funny how one little mistake can muck up the whole thing.

Thanks for the help guys!

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:55:00 pm »

Li'l bit o' thread necromancy.

Wiles, were you able to narrow down how you got vermin playable in adventure mode? Would be REALLY interested to know if it can be reliably reproduced.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

Well, the effect is easily reproduceable.  The cause, on the other hand, is one of those things that gives entity modders a case of "huh?" to liven up their day.

If you want playable vermin, just point the [CREATURE:*] tag in the entity profile to the vermin of your choice.  It will probably not work, but I can't say it's something I've worked with a whole lot.

Watch out for cats.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

I had similar problems when 1 of my entity had the same adv_tier as another one.
Be sure to give them different ones (consequent) and generate a new world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 09:04:00 am »

Man, I'm going to go duplicate a few dozens creatures! Turtles!
LOL I got Frogmen playable in adv mode. Dud, how does duplicating one creature change so much?

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Helmaroc ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

If you have 2 entities with similar adventure_tiers, they conflict and misplace all links someway, this way any creature may appear at the dwarf/elf/human/... place. I don't know how the Toady made his arrays of entities and creatures and linked them together, but it looks like a conflict caused by duplicated adventure_tiers (IDs?) moves the array of creatures thus linking other creatures to the entities array, and you get playable chimerae/goblins/whatever instead of right creatures.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:00:00 am »

Actually, the adventure tier doesn't have anything to do with it.  It happens when the [CREATURE:*] tag points at a creature that is a duplicate as another creature.  With just that one tiny error (like adding in a centaur race and forgetting to remove them from the fanciful creature file), you cause a whole truckload of weird.  It's really quite amazing how much can go horribly wrong from such a minor mistake.

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 10:12:00 am »

FUN! Duplicate dwarves, and you get elves in mountain walls, goblins living in forests, and evil kobold fortresses, complete with kobold drunks!