Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: hostility  (Read 1475 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hostility
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

it works in adventure, but anyways, thats probably not the problem, because they were just as easily scared before i added it
een failing lately?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

You don't suppose Toady broke LARGE_PREDATOR aggression in 33g, do you?  I'm pretty sure that caused dwarf-killing mayhem without fail previously (so long as the creature in question wandered close enough to see a dwarf).

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

shit, i wouldnt know... wasnt playing df before the latest version... trying everything now. even added vermin_lava to dwarves and verminhunter to my predators, seems to attract them to dwarves, but testing goes slow when no such creatures appear... wanna see if they enter a fortress or not in search for the dwarven vermin ^^ btw:what makes dogs so agressive?

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

alright, verminhunter makes predators enter fortresses where dwarves have vermin_lava. cats dont attack though as the are tamed, and vermin_grounder makes dwarves unable to use equipment. now to make these guys attack, ideas?
een failing lately?

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 01:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>You don't suppose Toady broke LARGE_PREDATOR aggression in 33g, do you?  I'm pretty sure that caused dwarf-killing mayhem without fail previously (so long as the creature in question wandered close enough to see a dwarf).</STRONG>

LARGE_ROAMING and LARGE_PREDATOR are mutualy exclusive, and that has LARGE_PREDATOR second, so its using the peaceful herbivore tag

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by gurra_geban:
<STRONG>alright, verminhunter makes predators enter fortresses where dwarves have vermin_lava. cats dont attack though as the are tamed, and vermin_grounder makes dwarves unable to use equipment. now to make these guys attack, ideas?</STRONG>

dwarves dont have to be set to vermin for this to work. the verminhunter tag is what causes animals to adopt a dwarf as their owner, so they follow the dwarf around. if the animal is wild, they still follow the dwarf around, but are hostile so the dwarf runs away and if cornered they fight

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »

LARGE_ROAMING and LARGE_PREDATOR can't be mutually exclusive.  Otherwise, why would Toady's predators have both tags?  See [CREATURE:LION] for details.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 08:52:00 pm »

doh, i feel a bit stupid at that now, even all my own predators have it   :(

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Some combination of [LARGE_PREDATOR], [RECKLESS], [LIKES_FIGHTING], and either [CURIOUSBEAST] or [VERMINHUNTER] or whatever it is cats have should create the desired hunter-killer behavior.  My swamp minotaur experience may have been luck, but I think [CURIOUSBEAST] will make them beeline for your dwarves at walking speed (not running speed like _GUZZLER or _ITEM).  [VERMINHUNTER] carries all sorts of special case behavior and may cause them to befriend your dwarves rather than attack them, but at the very least it should make them hover near your dwarves.

Oh, almost forgot...  Do not give your predatory creatures [BENIGN], as I think it not only determines biome preference (calm, serene, etc) but also behavior (mostly harmless).

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 10:42:00 pm »

quote:
dwarves dont have to be set to vermin for this to work. the verminhunter tag is what causes animals to adopt a dwarf as their owner, so they follow the dwarf around. if the animal is wild, they still follow the dwarf around, but are hostile so the dwarf runs away and if cornered they fight

the thing is, the only creatures who enter a fortress are those with verminhunter, drawn towards the vermin tag, so thats why i add it to dwarves ^^
EDIT: ok, got your point now, but do they really adopt hostiles? btw, if the animal is wild, both creatures run away, if the animal isnt undead that is... the deal is, i dant really know the conditions for an animal to attack and hunt a dwarf, so whenever i test my dwarfkillers, they run away

gonna try this stuff out, i hope it works as expected

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 11:10:00 pm »

For a quick test, throw something like this in your game and start a new world.  They should appear fairly often, so you can watch their behavior.  If they approach your fortress regularly (rather than wander at random), try giving them [LARGE_PREDATOR] as well (which does not require a new world, so you can continue with the same test fort).

code:
[CREATURE:TOURIST]
   [NAME:tourist:tourists:tourist]
   [TILE:1][COLOR:3:0:0]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [BENIGN]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [PREFSTRING:money]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
   [STOUT]
   [MAXAGE:150:170]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:1:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:12][BABY:1][MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
   [DAMBLOCK:1]
   [FAT:3]
   [SIZE:6]
   [EQUIPS]
   [CAVE_ADAPT]
   [DIURNAL]
   [SPEECH:dwarf.txt]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:300]   50
   [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
   [SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:0:55:100]
   [PERSONALITY:VULNERABILITY:0:45:100]
   [PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:55:100]
   [BIOME_ANY_LAND]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [FREQUENCY:1000]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:100:400]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:10:40]
   [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK]
   [CURIOUSBEAST]

Forgot to disable smilies...  Fixed.

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

Prior existence of smilies borked spacing in attack line.  Fixed.

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »

curiousbeat makes them go for items laying outside btw... this makes them kinda tedious when starting up a fort, but easy if you position your dabbling wrestlers in a perimeter around where you want to dig, and move everything inside with non-military dwarves...
een failing lately?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM:  Creature runs at full speed toward some (random?  valuable?) item and steals it.

CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER:  Creature runs at full speed toward some random food and eats it.

CURIOUSBEAST:  AFAIK creature walks to your dwarves to do Armok knows what.

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

but, curiousbeast does not tell creatures to go inside ^^

ending thread with an announcement: GREAT SUCCESS!

[CREATURE:MAGMALION]
   [NAME:magmalion:magmalions:magmalion]
   [TILE:'L'][COLOR:4:0:1]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_LAVA][FREQUENCY:1][DIFFICULTY:2]
   [MODVALUE:5]
   [FIREBREATH][FIREIMMUNE][LIKES_FIGHTING][MAGMA_VISION]
   [GENPOWER:5]
   [CANOPENDOORS]
   [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
   [NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NOSTUN][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION][RECKLESS]
      [NOSTUCKINS][SEVERONBREAKS][NOSKULL][NOSKIN][NOBONES][NOMEAT][NOTHOUGHT][NOEXERT]
       [VERMINHUNTER]
       [PET_EXOTIC][PETVALUE:2500]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1]
   [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
   [NOFEAR][NOEXERT]
   [PREFSTRING:ability to kill]
   [ITEMCORPSE:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:ASH:NO_MATGLOSS]
   [NOSMELLYROT]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:7]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:BURN][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [NO_GENDER]
   [FIXED_TEMP:10800]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]

The expedition was set, we had travelled to a somewhat inhospitable area after leaving our home, this place was home to giant predators and had an aquifier which made planning a great deal more important. There was also a magma vent, which was not that useful yet, as we had no way of mining for ore for the time being.
Warriors as we are, we settled here because of the close proximity to our foes, the dark goblins. We were on a mission from the king, hope all goes well. We are sparring rigorously, and when migrants arrive we will train the as well.
Plump helmets were growing slowly, but turtles started mating in the aquifier when we dug out a pool. Hunting was ripe but dangerous, the paws of giant lions could strike from behind at any moment, so we didnt really dare to venture outside much.
Suddenly our carpenter had this crazy idea about draining the aquifier, and begun constructing screw pumps. Our miner dug a great hall by request of the carpenter and we all waited anxiously to feel the cold touch of stone again after living in this scorching savanna. All went well, until.
BEAST! Our woodcutter was running down the hallway screaming just when a caught a really fat turtle. "He killed Mörul, bit his head right off". We were intrrupted by our miners roar from above, Taruk was the strongest dwarf i knew, but his scream was not of victory, but of pain.
Suddenly it ran towards me, a burning lion, with a mane of molten stone. As it opened its gap and burned the dwarf next to me i did not prey, but thought only of the good life i have had.

My test fortress suffered this fate the first summer, and i started to like that fort :P.
This thing is sluggish in the magma, but as soon as it takes the first step outside it will rush your fortress. It will be cautious at first, but after the first kill it will enter your fortress and systematically kill your inhabitants, hunting them throught your halls. It's tough as nails, and will require some great effort to defend against. I set it to canopendoors as well, losing is fun! Magma vents suddenly went insane ^^

EDIT: Give dwarves the VERMIN_LAVA tag for this creature to work, it doesn't impact play in any other way than them getting targeted by this creature. Also i removed the vermin tag for fire snakes, but it's untested if they hunt them otherwise, living in lava and all that.

[ February 02, 2008: Message edited by: gurra_geban ]

een failing lately?
Pages: 1 [2]