Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with a simplified armor mod?  (Read 764 times)

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with a simplified armor mod?
« on: December 18, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »

Ok, as a new player to DF I have to say it's easily one of the best games I've ever played. However at the same time it's obvious some things are in the alpha stage, dragging the quality of the rest of the game down (at least for me) - specifically the UI for clothing and armor. I like the idea of individual items of clothing and armor, but they're just too much of a pain keep track of with the game in it's current state.

Then I found a mod which removed clothing, installed it and never looked back (kudos to veryinky!). It's not a perfect solution, but until better handling of your dwarvern population's clothing is implemented it's better than the veritable shitstorm brought on when clothing begins to rot.

And then I thought - why not do something similiar with armor? Obviously not remove it - unlike clothing, armor is awesome and neccessary - but simplify it to reduce micromanagement?

Specifically I want to do the following;

1. Reduce available armor to helms, suits of armor and shields.

2. Which would mean condensing breastplates, leggings/greaves, boots and gloves into one item called suits of armor. So you'd have an 'Iron Suit of Armor' instead of 'Iron Left Glove', 'Iron Right Glove', 'Iron Left Boot', etc.

3. Which in turn would mean condensing the build cost and protection of those individual pieces of armor into once piece.

The purpose of all that being that you wouldn't have to hunt down that one Iron Right Boot because the wrong person picked it up and you specifically wanted it for your captain, or whatever. And that's when I tried to actually mod it in...

Would condensing all the armor protection properties simply consist of adding all the [ARMORLEVEL:?] values of the individual items together? Or adding the [MAINBLOCK:?] or [SECONDBLOCK:?] values together? And I couldn't find anything that determined how much metal/leather it takes to produce an item (unless it's [ARMORLEVEL:?]).

I assume all those things are possible once I know which variables do what, however I got really stuck on the next part. I need once piece of armor which protects both the chest, arms, legs and feet at once. But this seems to be determined by the item's token, such as [ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_PLATEMAIL] or [ITEM_PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES]. ARMOR tells the game that the item protects the chest, while PANTS tells the game that it protects the legs, and so on. Because they're item tokens I don't think it's possible to just have [ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_PANTS_PLATEMAIL] to make platemail that protects the chest and legs. Is there any way of doing this at all? Or is it just hardcoded?

I'd try my usual modding tactic of trial and error here but the game doesn't tell me how much protection an item offers, or where, from inside the game so I can't really do that. Any help would be appreciated, even if it's only to tell me it's not possible!

Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Help with a simplified armor mod?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »

I believe it's the ITEM_PANTS: or ITEM_ARMOR: part that tells it where it is to be worn and thus which area it protects, as this identifies the item type. The other is just the items name. So changing the item name won't affect where it protects, you have to create separate items with different item types. As far as I know, theres no way to make an item have multiple item types.

In other words, I think it is all hard coded and you can't make an item cover multiple areas of the body.

Also, it is the MATERIAL_SIZE tag that sets the amount of material the item uses. Adamantine wafers count as 1, other metal bars count as 3. Thus platemail with mat size of 9 costs 3 bars or 9 wafers.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Paul ]

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a simplified armor mod?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Ok cool, thanks for the help. I'll just have to wait for the Army Arc then.

[ December 19, 2007: Message edited by: Naero ]

Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.