Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making metals not available at start?  (Read 511 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making metals not available at start?
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

Is there any way to make metals not show up in the starting equipment, carried by immigrants, etcetera? I'm trying to put together a makeshift alchemy mod using reactions to make strange new metals, but my new game for testing is giving me red bronze axes to start and such. I'm pretty sure the [DEEP] tag will do it, but does anyone know if that has any other strange effects?

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making metals not available at start?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:44:00 am »

I've been doing some similar things, and have been using the [DEEP] tag. No strange effects that I've noticed so far, but I've tested for three years (and four forts) so far.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

If you remove the [METAL_PREF] from the entity file and put in [WOOD_PREF] all the equipment will be made from wood.  Actually I don't even think you have to remove [METAL_PREF].
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:00:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sparksol:
<STRONG>I've been doing some similar things, and have been using the [DEEP] tag. No strange effects that I've noticed so far, but I've tested for three years (and four forts) so far.</STRONG>

Oh? What have you made so far? I'm still in the "make sure everything works pretty much like you expect" stage.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:59:00 am »

I'd been collaborating on a silly/weird "lots of hidden stuff" project, which included laser metal - intended to result in laser bolts, but you end up also being able to make laser barrels and laser mugs. I put a new ore in the ground which was mostly useless by itself, but made it so you could smelt it with different other metals to get other different metals depending on what you added to it. Fairly simple so far...

Anyway, until I added the [DEEP] flag, anyone could start with these new metals, instead of having to discover and make the stuff. The biggest "oops!" was that this included the new metal you could make from adamantine....I wasn't paying attention on the supply screen, but I sure noticed at the first goblin siege.

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.