Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading with dwarves as humans.  (Read 771 times)

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading with dwarves as humans.
« on: November 25, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »

So, I've set Humans as a playable race, but after some tinkering (such as try it both with and without dwarves as also a playable race), I've been unable to successfully get it so that the dwarven caravans will show up to my human fortress -- they never show 'Dwarves' under the contact list, only Humans, Elves, and Goblins. Am I doing something wrong, or is that normal and there's no way to fix it?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Trading with dwarves as humans.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:31:00 pm »

I think it's normal. I could be wrong, but I think setting the civ to be used in fortress mode turns them into mountian_settlements (even if they're on the plains) and replace the dwarves.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:05:00 pm »

Hmm. Thank you. Maybe if I change dwarves to plains or something -- I'll give it a try.

Edit --- Yep, that seems to have worked.

[ November 25, 2007: Message edited by: Vel ]

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

And just to clarify, they don't replace the dwarves in all areas, so you can still  select a dwarven civ on that screen in the pre-embarkation menu.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 03:04:00 pm »

I was trying to do this, and here is an explanation of what works. However, to get trade to work, only humans can be playable (at one time). I'm not sure how to have dwarves be [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] as well as [PLAINS_SETTLEMENTS] - maybe the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] changes them to [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS]?

1. Create a pure DF world, no changes. This will create normal human and dwarf civs.

2. Take the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] away from the dwarves and give it to the humans.

3. Change the dwarf's [MOUNTAIN_SETTLEMENTS] to [PLAINS_SETTLEMENTS]

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 02:27:00 am »

Odd. While it said on embark that I could trade with the dwarves, none of them have come.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 03:38:00 pm »

They came at last, in the style of human caravans, with wagons. and they brought a huge quantity of stuff, just like humans.