Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I flooded everything.  (Read 550 times)

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I flooded everything.
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:27:00 pm »

I dug to the underground river. Boy, i couldn't wait to get to it. I started the irrigation thingy. I did it wrong.

I had a channel dug up from the river and an *open* floodgate at it's end.

The moment the channel was finished, water ran into it, spilled out of the floodgate...

It drowned everybody and flooded everything. It only stopped on the river outside. I don't know if it's meant to be like that, but consider it a warning. Don't flood your whole fortress with this:

FCCCR

F-open floodgate
C-channel
R-river

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: I flooded everything.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:36:00 pm »

Yeah, have you guys found the Note on Floodgates hidden in the manual?  It explains the rules.  I think it might be in the food section of 'your first outpost' or some place obvious.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »

I forget...  is there some sort of 'embankment' thing we can build that dwarves can step over easily, but will block water?  That could be very useful, and would eliminate the need for all those extra complicated doors when flooding caves.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:24:00 pm »

The channels block manually created floods, but I think, unless you want to place flood gates and doors, you have to suffer through the seasonal floods.  I haven't thought so much about raised terrain vs. the channels.  It might be worth a look when I do things like re-walling.

[ August 09, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ancient_Sleeping_Dude_Rei

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 10:14:00 am »

About the seasonal floods, I have only gotten one flood ever, and that's when I found the river. I do get the occasional "the river is overflowing" but no flood seen so far